Can no longer enable textbox - due to XP/SP2?

KevinPVBNewbie
01-03-2005, 01:20 PM
I have a form with a control array of Textboxes. I have the enabled property set to true for each member in the array. I have Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise with Service Pack 6 installed. The last time that I was able to use the controls was on my old computer where I had Win98SE installed with the same Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise & SP6 as the environment. Now, on my new computer, I have XP Professional SP2.

It doesn't make any difference whether I'm running in the IDE or working with the compiled output.

Is there some difference in the behavior of this most basic control in the OS environment of XP? Or am I missing something simple? It's like the control is read-only, but the properties window shows that the Enabled property is True.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Kevin

lebb
01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Is the Locked property set to True?

KevinPVBNewbie
01-03-2005, 10:39 PM
No, the locked property is False, and I'm even setting that value to False in my code. I just don't know what I might have done (other than change the OS and computer) that would have caused my code to no longer function.

waits77
01-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Who's antivirus are you running. One of the guys here had problems with SP2 and some feature of MacAffee. He couldn't display message boxes unless he disabled the security feature. I can get more info later when he gets in.

OK, he was using VB .NET and it was the buffer overflow protection that caused message boxes to not be visible. He loaded the latest patch from MacAffee and it works OK now.

KevinPVBNewbie
01-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Who's antivirus are you running. One of the guys here had problems with SP2 and some feature of MacAffee. He couldn't display message boxes unless he disabled the security feature. I can get more info later when he gets in.

OK, he was using VB .NET and it was the buffer overflow protection that caused message boxes to not be visible. He loaded the latest patch from MacAffee and it works OK now.

I'm using AVG for my Antivirus, the Free version.

Banjo
01-04-2005, 10:41 AM
And too am running VB6SP6 on XPSP2 (wow, acronym city!) and have not experienced anything like what you are describing.

Did you do an in place upgrade or a wipe and re-install? If the former then try the latter. In place upgrades have, in my experience, a great propensity for screwing things up royally.

KevinPVBNewbie
01-04-2005, 05:24 PM
And too am running VB6SP6 on XPSP2 (wow, acronym city!) and have not experienced anything like what you are describing.

Did you do an in place upgrade or a wipe and re-install? If the former then try the latter. In place upgrades have, in my experience, a great propensity for screwing things up royally.

Well, here's the answer, and thanks to you guys for responding. It turns out to be something simple, but subtle. At some point between my last successful run and now, I'd changed the .Enabled property for the FRAME that the control sits on to False.

I figured it out by trying to build the form from scratch in a new project, and just going down and copying the various properties, and that's when I noticed that the Frame had its .Enabled Property = False.

Anyways, thanks again. Hopefully I didn't waste the time of too many people. However, this can be a learning example of a not-completely-obvious mistake.

Kevin

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum