Remote capturing of digital camera photos using VB

teamvagi
01-25-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi
I want to capture photos from VB application remotely from the Canon Powershot A70 digital camera and edit the same and save to the database.
Please can anybody guide me where i can find the controls or any other method available to capture photo's remotely and display in the picture box,
And tools required for croping the images to the required width & height.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Team Vagi

texmex
02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi
I want to capture photos from VB application remotely from the Canon Powershot A70 digital camera and edit the same and save to the database.
Please can anybody guide me where i can find the controls or any other method available to capture photo's remotely and display in the picture box,
And tools required for croping the images to the required width & height.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Team Vagi
Hi,

It sounds like you are doing a very similar project to myself. You need the SDK from canon to control the camera in a tethered mode. You can then take pictures and save them to the hard drive, cropping the image can be done a number of ways, I use a fixed aspect ratio with cropping to the middle of the image. If you want to crop to a varying region of interest that will be significantly more complex. You then need a data base connection to save the image name and path to a record in the data base. You will have to do a fair bit of searching for all of the relevant pieces.

headkaze
02-18-2005, 01:46 AM
The powershot can be used as a webcam if I'm not mistaken, so you could just use the Microsoft WDM Image Capture device to grab frames.

The source for this is available http://www.shrinkwrapvb.com/vbvidcap.htm

The problem you may encounter using this method is that the powershot will shutdown after a period of time even when using power supply. It's stupid I know, perhaps there is a way around it.

Of course texmex has the ideal solution, perhaps he could post some code here? I would be interested in trying this myself.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum