flashing gifs

pernjuke
02-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I am having a problem with images. I am using a gif image with no background, and it moves a certain amount to the left on a timer.The problem is the image's backgound falshes red whenever it moves. I cant figure out how to fix it, does anyone have any suggestions?

meteo
02-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Would this be an animated GIF? If I am not mistaken, VB 6.0 doesn't take a liking to animated GIF's and this may be where the problem lies. Try a search on animated GIF's and see if there is any help in that.

pernjuke
02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
No, its just a single frame gif, so thats not what the problem is.

noi_max
02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Are you using an Image control?

Image controls are great for static images, paticularly .gif files with a transparent background, but as soon as you start moving them around they flicker badly.

pernjuke
02-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Yes, I am using an image control with a transparent background. Soo, is there any way to display a moving gif with a transparent background, or do I just have to get really creative?

Maelstrom
02-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Depending on what you are trying to do, you could just paint the picture onto the form (me.PaintPicture or the BitBlt API), but that mightnt be the best answer depending on what you are trying to do

zelg37
02-07-2005, 10:46 PM
You just need to use PaintPicture or Bitblt with the appropriate ROP codes.

This Code Library thread has a link (in the last post) to a Beebe tutorial showing how to do transparent (static) backgrounds as well as a link to upgraded example that shows flickerfree movement with a transparent background:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/t129548.html

Note: The secret to flickerfree transparent background images (sprites) in Visual Basic is generally through the use of masks.

Masks can be created at design time or at run time (programmatic).
The first post in the above thread creates a link to a program for doing design time masks (the relatively easier way).

A programmatic masking example (a bit more involved) can be found attached to this post:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showpost.php?p=824219

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum