PONG (non-DirectX)

Teric
03-11-2002, 03:14 PM
I am sending out my resume to lots of different job companies. One company that responded wanted me to build a simple Pong game to submit to them. I wanted to post it here and get some feedback. I did it without DirectX (can't use DirectX here at work--I'm on an NT 4.5 machine and I'm not allowed to install anything).

Just unzip all files into one directory.

Enjoy!

Volte
03-11-2002, 04:23 PM
That is truly a really good pong game :)

Good work!

A Few Suggestions
Adjustable paddle speed and ball speed
Option to turn sound off

That's about it :)
Great!

ChiefRedBull
03-12-2002, 04:26 AM
Nice :D

Any chance for some AI ? Hee hee.....

Teric
03-12-2002, 07:44 AM
AI in a Pong game is either mind-numbingly simple or overly complex.

In the simple case, it's just three choices:

1. If the ball is higher than the AI paddle, move the paddle up
2. If the ball is lower than the AI paddle, move the paddle down
3. If the ball is vertically even with the AI paddle, then don't move the paddle.

In the complex case, it involves quite a bit more. A good Pong AI would be aware that the ball bounces off the paddle at different angles depending on where it hits the paddle. The AI would also watch the human player and get a feel for his/her moves, then decide the best course of action to out-wit the human's moves. This kind of AI would end up requiring much more code than the game itself.

Either way, I'm probably just going to leave it as-is.

Thanks for the feedback, though! I wanted to make it look and sound nice.

Flyguy
03-12-2002, 07:57 AM
The most simple AI according to me is keeping the bat in sync with the ball. (keep it on the same Y coordinates).

Squirm
03-12-2002, 08:16 AM
That would make the AI unbeatable. Well, I guess it depends on what you're wanting out of it....... :-\

Flyguy
03-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Just like the good old game squash on the Atari 2600
Instead of a bat you were just hitting the ball against a wall, the only goal was to count the number of hits...

:rolleyes:

Computer_Guy
03-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey Teric, nice game. I enjoyed the sounds, too, it sounded like a boring game of golf, though, ;) , but then again, is golf enteraining? Like Squirm said, yeah, the AI would be unbeatable if he just stayed with the ball. What you would do is make it slow, and then faster and faster, and make him for practice. Oh well, there's my input
Ed

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum