help with a toolbar

Cipherzero
02-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Im not sure exactly what I want, so Ill just tell you what I want to do.

I want to make a program with a toolbar on the side. But I want the toolbar to be able to be resized. Sorta like the properties and project windows that are "docked" on the right hand side of the vb screen. I have absotuly no idea how to do this. Can anyone help?

meteo
02-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure as I've never tried this myself. Something that comes to mind is to use a seperate form (so that you can turn it on/off, resize, move, dock, etc. There is a sample project out there (sorry, I can't remember who created it, aside from John Flynn) for magnetic forms. Have a look at it and perhaps it will help in your docking. I've attached the version I have for your review.

Cipherzero
02-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Not exactly what I wanted but thanks anyways. Thats cool information to know :)

passel
02-17-2005, 08:33 PM
You can use a picturebox to hold your controls.
You can dock a picturebox to the side of a form (use the Align property of the Picturebox).
The picturebox will stick to whatever side you tell it, and will automatically stretch if
the form is resized.

If you don't want the picturebox to be the full size of one side of the form, but be
sizable by the user and possibly have scrollable contents, then you can use either a
picturebox or a frame to hold your controls. You can use one of those
(frame or picturebox) inside another (frame or picturebox) to allow easy scrolling of the controls if they don't fit.
Try a search on Scrollable Forms (for examples of scrolling a window inside another window)
and for resizing controls (or form without a titlebar) for ways to implement manual
resizing.

If you don't feel like rolling your own, you may also want to check out some
of the controls here. I haven't looked at any of them myself, but a couple
sound like they may be something along the lines of what you are looking for.
http://www.mentalis.org/vbexamples/list.php?category=CONTROLS

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum