Alternative to "DirListBox"

meteo
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm making myself a little directory program for all of my projects here at work (that will also double as a project journal). Since I house all of my projects on a remote, but secure, drive, I decided to create a listing of all directories and then the respective project files (vbp's namely). When I select a project, I will give myself the option to load up the project, add/view/remove the journal entries, zip the contents and send via Lotus, etc, etc, etc.

I know it's not going to be much of a benefit or time-saver, but I think it will be in my best interest if I can keep journal/progress logs with my projects so that when review time comes I can report the stuff without having to compile reams of paper or a mess of Word documents.

So with that being said, I want something that is a bit more visually appealing than what I'm used to programming. I think the "DirListBox" and the corresponding drive/file lists are nice and functional, but I want something with the ability for graphical enhancements, if I choose. For now, I'm thinking of something along the lines of just a standard Windows XP window with the default view of "Tiles", "Icons", or "Thumbnails". I'm not sure what exactly is possible, but my intial thought was to build my own "system" (haven't figured it out yet. Perhaps a grid of images) and then use FSO to grab all the projects, assign them the folder image I choose, and then load it to the "system" and assign the grid array. I would do virtually the same thing with the actual project contents and the rest of the "system". By doing this, I figure I could make it mirror EXACTLY what XP looks like with the use of screenshots and what not. The process I have thought up is fairly simple, but I thought I would go ahead and ask for suggestions and ideas, so fire away.

Thanks all!

zelg37
02-18-2005, 05:43 PM
...For now, I'm thinking of something along the lines of just a standard Windows XP window with the default view of "Tiles", "Icons", or "Thumbnails"...
I don't have XP, so I don't know what the thumbnail view looks like...but just to give you some code to start out with you can check out "ImageViewer_with Thumbnails_and_WorkArea_Autosizing_3b.zip" attached to this post:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showpost.php?p=843199

RayOK
02-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Also check out this page: http://www.ariad-software.com/downloads/index.asp

The Ariad Explorer Controls look exactly like XP explorer. Some very cool stuff on there and AFAIK they are free. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Here's a screenie of the download source running in VB.. :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum