Some Help please..

trevland06
03-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Hiya... im new to programing sort of.. im only 13 so i need this explaioned detailed but understandable... Ive been playing a Game Called Ultima Online and ive been programing in there language called Sphere. That is easy enough and i hear its a combo of VB6 and VC++. i wanna start programming games. I have been messing with VB before in 4th and 5th grade but i couldnt do it.. im going to give it another go but i need a lot of help. i want to mess around with a small easy game which i have an idea for. but my goal is to make a funny game that me and my friends can play on the internet. So.. Any tips.. Pointers.. Places to start are all appreciated. i know bitblt is recamendedor something but i dont understand it. so,.. whatever needs done just tell me.. cya.......

Thanks

orufet
03-13-2002, 05:50 PM
It would be unwise to try to start making a game with little experience in Visual Basic. Before you can make a half-decent game, you'll need to know about all sorts of other programming concepts. (Loops, conditional statements, graphic API calls, functions, etc). Making a game without any background knowledge of VB is hard. (Believe me, it was the first thing I tried as well. I got so frustrated I left VB for three months, only coming back after realizing my foolishness.)

The best way to learn a language like VB (in my opinion) is to try to take a class. I never got the chance to with VB, but it helped me a ton when I started learning C++. Also, it would be a very good idea to visit your local (large) bookstore. Books are extremely helpful, although sometimes quite expensive. There is a list of recommended books in the Tutor's Corner.

If you have any questions, ask away; that's what we're here for.

trevland06
03-13-2002, 05:55 PM
well. i have a CD on learning VB for Middle School Ages (like myself). I learned some things like Strings.. Dims... the basics..
what now? can i start yet.. hehe.

orufet
03-13-2002, 06:10 PM
You can start making games whenever you like. It's just my advice to wait a few months to make sure you have a really solid grasp of basic programming concepts before trying to attack something like a game. There is also a list of good websites to visit in the Tutor's Corner.

Aviator
03-13-2002, 06:42 PM
I can relate a lot to you. I'm 14 and started VB programming at age 13. My dad bought me the book Learn To Program with Visual Basic 6 by John Smiley and i learned a lot from it. I strongly recommend against trying to build a game as your first program, there is just too much knowledge required. Only now after a year of learning programming (and quite some time left to go) have I started building HIGHLY basic games (snake, pong w/o AI).

My advice to you would be to get a good beginners book on VB. Do you run VB on your computer? If so, what version (pro, learning edition). If you don't, the book I mentioned above comes with the Working Model Edition. If you ever run into a problem, thats why this forum is here, and you can ask us for help. Good luck.

P.S. If you can't afford a book right now, there are many online tutorials that can get you started in the right direction.

Kitaiko
03-14-2002, 04:15 AM
hmm everyone here seems to have started at 13. I started visual basic at 13, (Although I really like to lie on other sites and say im a proffetional). Anyway I think the best way to learn is to see some examples and mess around with the code. You can find heaps at Planet source code (http://www.planetsourcecode.com)

ChiefRedBull
03-14-2002, 04:42 AM
Kitaiko, I'd disagree. I think the best way to learn is to get a few good books and understand the theory of what you're doing. Once you understand why things work, it's so much easier to understand how to make new things.

If you want a code sample of a game... look here (http://www.visualbasicforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=13501) for a rather amusing Kentucky Derby game. Its quite addictive.. :D

trevland06
03-14-2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Aviator
I can relate a lot to you. I'm 14 and started VB programming at age 13. My dad bought me the book Learn To Program with Visual Basic 6 by John Smiley and i learned a lot from it. I strongly recommend against trying to build a game as your first program, there is just too much knowledge required. Only now after a year of learning programming (and quite some time left to go) have I started building HIGHLY basic games (snake, pong w/o AI).

My advice to you would be to get a good beginners book on VB. Do you run VB on your computer? If so, what version (pro, learning edition). If you don't, the book I mentioned above comes with the Working Model Edition. If you ever run into a problem, thats why this forum is here, and you can ask us for help. Good luck.

P.S. If you can't afford a book right now, there are many online tutorials that can get you started in the right direction.

well.. i used to make meath programs and an osama bin laden game (how to beat the living **** out of him :D). but i lost them on a pc reformat. i do no the basic math skills. Dimming... Strings.. And ive programmed in Sphere. Which i here is a combo of C++ and VB and some other languages. its for a game. here is some of its code..

ON=@DCLICK
SRC.MENU m_warrior

[MENU m_warrior]
Hello. Please choose your class

ON=0 Swordsman So you like blades eh?
SRC.GO Britain
SRC.MESSAGE Go hit stuff. lol
SRC.NEWITEM i_sword_viking
SRC.ACT.BOUNCE...

Basically,. this opens a menu. you can pick some classes. i chose a warrior. Then it sends you to britain. a town of the map. then it tells you to go hit stuff. and then it makes a new item. and bounces it into you back pack.... it is a load easier then VB though..
Also. I have been working with VB since i was 10. but i was never to good at it. i have a learning VB CD that gets into game programming also.... and i have VB6 Professional Edition,.

Aviator
03-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Kitaiko
hmm everyone here seems to have started at 13. I started visual basic at 13, (Although I really like to lie on other sites and say im a proffetional). Anyway I think the best way to learn is to see some examples and mess around with the code. You can find heaps at Planet source code (http://www.planetsourcecode.com)

I'd also have to disagree with that. Examples online and even the tutorials aren't the way to learn VB. There just isn't enough depth, that can only be taken from VB books and classes (I'm guessing, I've never taken a VB class, but I hear good things. Maybe on day... :)).

Gamer X
03-16-2002, 08:07 AM
I have never taken a class either. I started out by my dad teaching me BASIC at a young age, (maybe 4 or 5?), and then I got VB3 when I was 10-12 or so, and I liked that but had no idea how to use it well. For my next B-day Dad bought me Sams VB4 in 12 Lessons which came with VB-4 working model, and now I'm 16 and doing great with VB6!

As for building a game at the start, I did ^_^. I mean, I did a bit of experimenting with VB3, but the first thing I really made was a tic-tac-toe game. From there, I made a fighting game somewhat like MortatCombat(just the main part), with AI. And then the starts of an RPG(which horribly failed). Unfortunately, that has all been lost when my hard drive fried, but oh well.

But I DID have 5-6 years of working with BASIC before then, making countless half-games and meaningless trifles, so that when I did get Visual Basic, I would be ready. . .

Arigato,
Gamer X (gamerx-creations.cjb.net)

Aviator
03-16-2002, 09:18 AM
Wow, 4 or 5 years old? I couldn't even read and write well enough to make a msgbox appear within five tries. Anyways, I'd just suggest buying yourself a good book (I'm not very partial to the Sam's series). The Tutor's Section of this forum has a nice book list you can search through to help you pick one out.

Gamer X
03-16-2002, 09:57 AM
Whoops, I didn't mean 4 or 5, more like 7 I guess. I dunno, it was a long time ago. . .

Kitaiko
03-16-2002, 10:47 AM
Well, ive learnt everything I know from other peoples programs, and a couple of net tutorials. - oh and this site of cource

Girlcake
03-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Oh man, I didn't start using VB until i was 23...i'm such a slacker...I did use old BASIC code on a funky texas instruments computer when i was younger...i spent a fair amount of time on it until the 8-bit NES came out....and then it took into my 20's to get back to programming....anyway...

trevland06,

what type of game do you want to be able to make to play with your friends? I'm working on an online lightcycles clone (good title: Tronline? probably copyright infringement) and for me each step is a learning process. Making a lightcylcles game was one of the reasons i got into programming at this point in my life & i knew at the beginning that it was sort of a long term goal (that i'm now able to work on) & i have longer-term goals for when that's done...and i'll probably work on many projects & read many books & tutorials in between to better equip me to make the things I want to make. so I'll tell you what, just keep practicing & before you know it you will have made that game, your friends will love it & think you're great...if & when you're discouraged, just think, you're more than 10 years ahead of me, (ugh, makes me feel kind of discouraged ).

Aviator
03-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Kitaiko
Well, ive learnt everything I know from other peoples programs, and a couple of net tutorials. - oh and this site of cource

I have to admit, a lot of good stuff can be taught by online tutorials. Its also nice to see how other people write their programs, and what approach they take to it (algorithms).

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum