Putting my bmp file into binary ones?

KiS
03-15-2002, 11:17 AM
I've seen games made with vb and thir sprites have been in filetypes that are not ordinary bmp or jpg files. How can i do this to my pictures?

denmeister
03-15-2002, 03:48 PM
The easiest solution would be to download an OCX that will handle convertion of one image file type to another. Or maybe it was a custom format, which would not surpise me if it was a commercial application.

But, the easiest method is to leave it as a BMP. Why go through all the trouble if you don't have to?

Squirm
03-15-2002, 05:03 PM
Many just use encrypted bmp/jpg/gif, to prevent people stealing. Sounds fair to me.

:)

AndreRyan
03-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Or you could use Pixel by Pixel drawing functions written into an encrypted file.

Pookie
03-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Here is an example of encrypting a picturebox picture to give you an idea how to do it:

Dim yLoop As Integer
Dim xLoop As Integer
Dim Colour As Long
Dim EncriptKey As Long

EncriptKey = 15784524 ' (change the number)
Rnd -1
Randomize EncriptKey

For yLoop = 0 To Picture1.ScaleHeight - 1
For xLoop = 0 To Picture1.ScaleWidth - 1

Colour = Picture1.Point(xLoop, yLoop)
Colour = (Colour Xor Rnd * 16777215)

Picture1.PSet (xLoop, yLoop), Colour

Next
Next

This is a rather slow method of doing it, you can change the pset and point with the APIs getpixel and setpixel for some speed increase.

You could also save the picture then rename the extension of the file to something like .mp3 so people won't even know it is a picture anymore then change it back in the program when needed. :)

ChiefRedBull
03-16-2002, 02:31 AM
The sprites you saw may have been ordinary file format, just renamed to discourage tampering... Did you try to open them in a graphics editor?

KiS
03-16-2002, 03:59 AM
Is there any place I can download a prog that will encrypt my picture files? If so, how do I open them in vb after they have been encrypted?

ChiefRedBull
03-16-2002, 04:39 AM
You can probably download several hundred encryption programs, but none that you will be able to use from within VB.
You have to do your own encryption algorithm... which you then reverse when you load the pictures up again.

KiS
03-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Ho do I reverse the code that Lord Pookie posted?

Squirm
03-16-2002, 12:43 PM
Run it again on the encrypted picture. Being Xor means it will reverse itself.

:)

Quick test does reveal that it does indeed work

KiS
03-16-2002, 01:07 PM
I have tried to load a picture into a picture box and the picture got encrypted but it didnt get normal when I ran it again......

Squirm
03-16-2002, 02:50 PM
This worked flawlessly for me:

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetPixel Lib "gdi32" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function SetPixel Lib "gdi32" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long, ByVal crColor As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()

Dim yLoop As Integer
Dim xLoop As Integer
Dim Colour As Long
Dim EncriptKey As Long

EncriptKey = 15784524 ' (change the number)
Rnd -1
Randomize EncriptKey

Picture1.Visible = False

For yLoop = 0 To Picture1.ScaleHeight - 1
For xLoop = 0 To Picture1.ScaleWidth - 1

Colour = GetPixel(Picture1.hdc, xLoop, yLoop)
Colour = Colour Xor 16777215

SetPixel Picture1.hdc, xLoop, yLoop, Colour
Picture1.Refresh

DoEvents

Next
Next

Picture1.Visible = True

End Sub

What could you be doing wrong? :confused:

Pookie
03-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Make sure you use the same encryption number when decrypting it otherwise the picture will look very odd and snowy! :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum