Let's play pacman

Pookie
03-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Hi guys, I'm just about finished writing a pacman game. :D Sort of got inspired by the other thread about 'let's talk about pacman'

I've spent the last couple of days on it and the only problem I'm having is I don't like the way the sound cuts each other's sounds out, so does anyone know how to play multiple sounds?

I don't know how fast this game will run on slower computers, but runs nice and smoothly on mine. :)

I'd like to know if it does run slow on others computers and if so, how fast is your computer, as I can't judge it myself as I don't have access to one (slow computer). :)

So if anyone finds any bugs or what-not, let me know as I haven't completely finished and tested it.

Thanks, Pookie.

ChiefRedBull
03-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Thats a mighty cool game!

Didn't find any bugs, but PacMan was slow to repond occasionally, and when I popped a pill, the sprites went blue, but they slowed down a little. It slowed heavily on the flashing too...

Other than that - wicked!

ardman
03-18-2002, 11:20 AM
You could try using two media players. I have done this in the past and got it to work.

:rolleyes:

Pookie
03-18-2002, 12:19 PM
I'll have to look into that (multiple sounds) as it's annoying when the sounds cut each other off...

As for the sprites turning blue. :) Yeah, that's the colour they are suppose to turn to tell you that you can eat the ghosts. :)

And when they are blue, they move at half speed so it is easier for pacman to catch up to them, they flash from blue to their normal colours when the powerpill starts to run out, to warn you about that too. :-\

Computer_Guy
03-18-2002, 12:39 PM
I like this game. It's fun, reminds me of the old days, which will never return :( , but you wanted to know the speeds? I ran your game on a P4 1.7 ghz processor, and it ran nice and smooth, VERY SMOOTH. But it's just a lot of fun.

Volte
03-18-2002, 07:17 PM
It's excellent! Run's super smooth, and is lots of fun. :) Great, great work.

Pookie
03-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks.

I use to remember as a little kid putting my 20 cents into the arcade machines.... memories......

One thing that's so good about arcade games from the 80's is that that were simple, fun and addictive, and also with today's computers, easy to write without needing the knowledge of machine code or other low level type languages....

Sounds like a good idea for a new thread.....

John
03-20-2002, 08:51 PM
And there I was thinking I would never again be impressed by PacMan! Wow did you prove that wrong.

That is sweet!!!

Orbity

Pookie
03-20-2002, 08:54 PM
hahahaha. Thanks.

I thought I would put it on www.planetsourcecode.com so others can have fun with it and it's got 16 out of 17 excellent ratings so far!!! :D

Volte
03-20-2002, 09:13 PM
PSC must be the biggest source of code theft ever.
Someone can steal your code, hack it up and post it as their own.
Do what you like, but be warned, there's some lowlives out there
that'll do anything for a crappy prize.

BTW, it looks like it's going over very well; it's the 10th
highest rated code on all of PSC (in the VB section)!

Pookie
03-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Really?

I didn't know that!!!! :eek: heh.

It's not a big deal though as the code is virtually freeware anyways... If others do use the code, I'll just give them a 'poor' rating for stealing it. :D

Volte
03-20-2002, 09:26 PM
:D

Well, if you think about it, it's pretty obvious anyway. A
huuuuuuuge codebase, mixed with some people who really want
some cool free software... that may not end in a situation where
everybody wins.

Anyway, congratulations on the good ratings and stuff (I myself
gave you an excellent rating :)), it's great fun.

Pookie
03-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Yeah, if one gets code of the month, they get to put a lousy logo on their website.... Only thing is I don't have a website.

Also, anyone can just right click the logo and cut and paste it and use it with their websites regardless. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum