thought makes me lose micro chips

wizxzard
03-20-2002, 04:09 AM
Im starting to develop a game with a freined, we made the basic movements thanks to you guys but i am personally dreading the thought of making the game able to have users across the room playing the game let alone users acroos the globe. The idea is that you can log in and play as a character trainig and fighting others, is it hard to program the multi users in a game, and is it even harder to make it into internet user game??????:D :p :o

Pookie
03-20-2002, 04:25 AM
Depends on how good you are at writing games....
If you are a novice, then it will take a lot of help from others either from forums or doing searches on the net for info.
Multiplayer games over the net are fairly tricky actually as you need to have a 2 in 1 program which can both act as a server or client, and work between each other....

Computer_Guy
03-20-2002, 07:07 AM
I would personally use WinSock for something like this. There is a section with Communications there. I'm sure a bit of looking, and you'd be set.
Just my 2 cents
Ed

ChiefRedBull
03-20-2002, 08:47 AM
Coding a game that can be played across a network is hard. Full stop. But, the level of diffuclty depends on the games level of complexity. For something like Unreal Tournament or Quake, gaming is very tough.

If you wanted to do something like chess, it would be relatively easy.

There are two ways to do it IMHO. First, having only two players, they connect to each other via Winsock. Noone else can see or play the game, unless they can actually physically see one of the two monitors. Then, each time a player makes a move, a string is sent to the other player, telling the program what the move was. The receiving program would then have to update the display as necessary.

Secondly, you could have multiplayer games using a specially coded server program. It would allow multiple connections, and would do the same as the above suggestion only on a more complex and larger scale. It would send out lots of command strings to the clients, and manage turn taking etc...

A nice idea. I'm thinking of knocking one up myself actually.... :D

wizxzard
03-21-2002, 02:34 AM
the games is a bit like pokemon, sorry were not into that stuff but thats the general layout of the game, you walk about as a relativly low detail character and train fight etc, and interact.thanx for you help people.
wizxzard:D :p :o
Good luck with your game chiefredbull, i know its gonna be a stressful and hard time for you. :D

Aviator
03-21-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by wizxzard
Good luck with your game chiefredbull, i know its gonna be a stressful and hard time for you. :D

Lol, wizxzard, that must be inspiring for Chief.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum