Program compile error

NVS
06-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I have a project group and i never compiled a group before so i didnt see that compile option for the group and ended up compiling the seperate projects. Now i have found it, i cant seem to get my group project to compile. I dont know if i messed up the compiling before or the error i get is based on someother problem. Help. Below is the error box message, i used to get others but the compile now terminates at this one.

Project1 cannot be built because it references C:\*******\Project2.vbp which does not have a binary compatibility file set.

This project group is based on three projects, two are projects for custom controls used on the forms in the main project file.

NVS
07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Just bumping up this post, need the problem solved. See above for full details.

herilane
07-04-2005, 01:39 PM
The first question to ask yourself is whether you want binary compatibility for those other projects.

Binary compatibility means that VB will try to ensure that you do not change the interface of either of those controls (which properties and methods they have, what the signatures for those properties & methods look like etc).
With binary compatibility, you can change the inner workings of your controls and recompile them, without having to recompile any other projects that use that control. It is therefore very useful if you plan to use those controls in other projects, and can be good even if you only use it for your Project1 but expect to make changes to it.

To set binary compatibility, compile the custom controls first. When you have compiled them once, make a copy of the compiled ocx files and call them something like "mycontrol master.ocx". (This is to ensure that you don't get a new GUID for the control every time it's compiled.)
Then go to Project > Properties > Component, and choose 'Binary compatibility'. Next, set the "mycontrol master.ocx" file as the reference file.

If you don't want binary compabitility, just remove it, and switch to no compatibility or project compatibility. Project compatibility is more likely to be useful to you, as it ensures that references to the control won't go missing when you work on the different projects in different instances of VB.
To change, go to Project > Properties > Component, choose the option you want. If you choose 'Project compatibility', you will also need to choose a project file that serves as a reference for this (same procedure as for binary compatibility, above).

NVS
07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Romeo Dunn, thanks.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum