Sluggish scrolling ListBox

MaxRaceSoftware
06-08-2005, 04:53 AM
i created a few different .EXE applications with VB6.0 which has 1 ListBox
(Standard Style and no MultiSelect)

Scrolling the Items in the ListBox is sluggish, jumpy, slightly erratic
doesn't respond correctly when using Mouse to scroll the ListBox.

same results running in IDE or as an .EXE

ListBox seems to respond normally after Computer Reboot, but in short time becomes sluggish to scroll, or scrolls in leaps or erractically jumps around.
as long as you Scroll slowly, the ListBox scrolls smoothly

if i read in a very large 10,000+ line Text File into the ListBox, it scrolls smoothly and very fast......if i AddItem 100 or to 1000 Lines, it eventually scrolls sluggish/jumpy,erratic.

spikey_richie
06-08-2005, 06:07 AM
Do you have autoredraw enabled for the listbox? If so, that will slow it down. Also, if it's an XP machine, turn off 'smooth scroll' from the system performance tab.

wakjah
06-08-2005, 06:17 AM
What you are describing sounds like the normal listbox scrolling behaviour when, as spikey_richie noted, "smooth scroll" is enabled.

spikey_richie
06-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Right click 'My Computer' > 'Properties' > 'Advanced' tab > 'Settings' from within the 'Performance' frame. Turn off 'Smooth-scroll list boxes'

MaxRaceSoftware
06-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Do you have autoredraw enabled for the listbox? If so, that will slow it down. Also, if it's an XP machine, turn off 'smooth scroll' from the system performance tab.

i'm testing the .EXE app on 2 Computers ;
(1) on XP-Pro , the ListBox always scrolls very quickly, instantly follows the Mouse Arrow, scrolls smoothly/quickly, no problems ever.

(2) Win 98 2nd Edition Plus, after Reboot or new startup, the ListBox works OK, the ListBox's scrollbar button moves instantly with the Mouse Arrow,
after a half hour or longer, you can startup the .EXE again , and now the ListBox scrolling is starting to slow down, then won't follow Mouse Arrow without scrolling erratically or lagging behind.

this problem seems to have started in last few days,
no new Software or Programs have been installed, and
the same Programs are running in Task Manager , System Resources = 84 %+

the Form's AutoRedraw has been tried True and False, no differences in ListBox action, the ListBox's IntegralHeight has been tries both ways, no difference.

is there a way to turn-off ListBox repainting ? thru API ?

the Program's calculation speed is very fast , and the ListBox populates instantly, very fast, but will scroll sluggish or lag behind Mouse movement,
also using KeyBoard Keys to Scroll ListBox also appear sluggish.

any Help appreciated !

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum