Fairly ambitious claim...

Oddlore
08-12-2005, 02:51 AM
I would like to start off by apologising if this information is already available in parts, but i have had no luck finding any completely relevant to me yet, plus i am a mediocre programmer so i wouldn't even know what i was looking at.

Okay, so today i told my friend, cause i'm a moron, that i could make any program in the world he wanted by next thursday. It could be really absurdly ambitious or just not even possible or it might be easy, but if i could get some help it would be awesome. What he decided was this: a program that ties in with winamp or windows media player which googles the currently playing song for lyrics and then proceeds to take a randomly selected lyric from that song and put it in your msn name. For me, the idiot who said, "pffft, hell YES i can do it", it now sounds outrageously hard, what with the tying in with different programs and having to distinguish, in some way, lyrics on a website from just text.

So, if you have any suggestions, even if it's that i should give up, or that i have posted in the wrong forum or something, it would be greatly appreciated.

TeraBlight
08-12-2005, 04:22 AM
It's not completely undoable (not much is, after all ;))
The biggest hurdle seems to be the idea of just googling for lyrics... if, instead, you chose one specific site that has a searchable lyrics database, all of them would hopefully be in the same format and not too hard to parse out.

Still, if you consider yourself a "mediocre programmer", one week is really not a whole lot of time for something like this...

Anyway, welcome to the forums :)

b0b
08-12-2005, 05:07 AM
For the MSN name have a look at the forum on http://www.mess.be in the Add-ons, Plug-ins and Chat Bots section you will be able to find out how to use the MSN API to change the display name.

Oddlore
08-12-2005, 06:32 AM
It's not completely undoable (not much is, after all ;))
The biggest hurdle seems to be the idea of just googling for lyrics... if, instead, you chose one specific site that has a searchable lyrics database, all of them would hopefully be in the same format and not too hard to parse out.

Still, if you consider yourself a "mediocre programmer", one week is really not a whole lot of time for something like this...

Anyway, welcome to the forums :)

That's an incredibly good point, If the site had a specific structure it probably wouldn't be too hard. You're probably right about the timeframe too, but i'll have to ignore that fact. Thanks for the help guys and thanks for that link as well, bob, i'll check it out.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum