05-03-2002, 12:59 AM
I am creating a registartion form, and I dont know how to start, I have the Basic, Name, Email, so far & so on. I would like this form to apper only once, and to send this data. I dont know what to use, for this Puzzle can some one help, little code &/or some Idea would be awsome!!
-Thx in Advance
05-03-2002, 03:06 AM
Let me ask you a few questions:
1) What will this information be used for?
2) Where will the information be sent to?
3) Is this web-based or local?
05-03-2002, 11:25 AM
This info, is to see, how many people have downloaded my product, and to send them an emails, once every update is made. This might be sent via, email, but I belive it can also be sent to CGI right?
If you are connecting to a server to send this information, then I may suggest the following scenarios:
1) You get your client to fire an email to a specified email address containing the information you need. However, I think this method isn't very robust and quite possibly may fail (MAPI has issues if certain settings are set up right). It would also require a manual revision of the data by someone, and that pretty much sucks.
2) You connect to a server and send the information. This is the better method. The easiest way to accomplish this is to have the client post data to an ASP page. The asp page can then take the data and throw it into a database, email the client, do whatever you want with it. Of course, you could always write your own server, but why do so when you could use IIS and ASP? The task is simple enough.
If you go with the second route, you may want to investigate using the WinInet API to accomplish this. It's quite simple to use and would require you to write the .asp page and a few lines of code in the client.
Once you have the UI that captures all the necessary information (probably in the form of a registration 'wizard' type UI) you would just use the wininet api to post the data to an asp page.
Of course, that's one suggestion. There is a plethora of ways to accomplish this task.
05-03-2002, 08:24 PM
FormPal, Is a CGI-script Maker, will this do?? I know nothing, CGI, so I use the FormPal, ( just downloaded it ). You are suggesting to make an Inet, and make it send the info to the CGI page, on my website. Now how can I make, Inet, send "txtname, and txtemail, to the CGI form......Name (box) and Email (box) and Have it submit??
THNX .....WOULD LOVE SUGGESTIONS!!
05-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Do you have full control of the web server? What server side scripting language(s) are you running?
If you only have the need for a simple form, then I would not recommend CGI -- unless you are experienced in it. You should use either PHP or ASP.
To embed a form into HTML, do something like the following:
<form name="frmUpdateInfo" method=post action="receiveinfo.asp">
<input type=text name="txtName">
<input type=text name="txtEmail">
<input type=submit value=Submit>
Next, you need to write the code for "receiveinfo.asp". There are numerous free auto-reply email components available for download on the web. You can easily configure them to return what ever you want to the client's email. If you need help with this, then please post in the ASP forum.