Image Controls in VB.Net

jfk1232
06-13-2006, 04:52 PM
VB.Net is not supposed to have image controls--only picture controls. However, picture controls are overkill for what I'm doing and image controls would be better. They load pictures faster and use less memory and don't use up GDI handles. I need to have an array of hundreds of them, so I need to be concerned about these things.

Is there a way to have image controls in VB.Net? Perhaps there is a custom control that simulates the image control.

elnerdo
06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
The solution would be NOT using controls. Look into the System.drawing class. You'll find system.drawing.bitmap. You can draw them with GDI+.

(Just in case, here's a really good tutorial from the tutor's corner about GDI+. Section three involves bitmaps. )

jfk1232
06-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Here is a more detailed description of my problem. I have a rectangular shaped "grid" consisting of about 600 "cells". Each individual cell is an image that can change rapidly. I originally was going to have the grid be a giant picturebox that I could Bitblt each new cell picture into. However, the picture box would have to be refreshed everytime a single cell was changed. With many cells changing, this took time. So, I instead made each cell be an image control. Now when a cell changed, just it's one little image control would change. That worked really fast.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum