Running at Different Resolutions

trinkus79
08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm starting an MDI application, and I was wondering if there was an easy way to have my forms scale depending on what resolution the user has. I had made a program before, but while I was designing it, I was using 1280x1024, but most of the ppl that use my program, ran at a lower res and the bottom of my form was cut off. I was hoping to avoid that, and I didn't really want to use scroll bars. I'd like it to just scale like normal windows apps do, or does that require alot of coding. Any snippets of code, or nudges in the right direction would be most appreciated.

TIA,
trinkus

wayneph
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
A lot of it depends on exactly what you mean by scaling... If you have a large area that is a Text Area or a Data Grid, it should be fairly easy to accomplish. If you have a ton of independant buttons and list boxes, it will probably be a bit harder. (And to top it off, I'm not sure how to do the second option.)

For the easier option you just need to use the controls docing and anchor properties. You can put a panel docked to side any edge where you want buttons, and then use the Fill Docking option for the control that will grow in the middle. You can also use the Splitter Control to allow users to resize the various areas of your form.

trinkus79
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
just FYI, I'm usually horable at explaining stuff :)

here goes...

I was kind of thinking something like in HTML where you can set values by "%" rather than a fixed value, or something along those lines. My forms would be mostly labels, text boxes, and checkbox/radio buttons. I don't really want to let the form be resized because I am designing them from a paper form we have here in the office (I'm just trying to keep it simple for the users around the office). My problem is, when I design it on my computer it looks great, but when some of the people in the office use it on thier laptops, the resolution is alot lower, therefor my form goes off the bottom of thier screen and the bottom portion of the form is unuseable. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I'd like for the application to scale to the resolution, if that makes sense.

wayneph
08-10-2006, 01:30 PM
That's the second option I talked about above. I'm a web guy too, and haven't had to delve that much into WinForm apps. I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know where to start.

Is there any way to group the data in to sections so you could use tabs? That would allow you to shrink the size of your form, and lock it so that it still looks good.

trinkus79
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
That's the second option I talked about above. I'm a web guy too, and haven't had to delve that much into WinForm apps. I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know where to start.

Is there any way to group the data in to sections so you could use tabs? That would allow you to shrink the size of your form, and lock it so that it still looks good.

I think I may just find the largest size form, then design around that. I'm not getting paid for this project, so I'm not going to hurt my brain trying to find a way to make it look "pretty". I just want it to work :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum