Lock web page

pisoftwar
05-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Does anybody know how to prevent the print screen key from copying the information to the clipboard from a web page?

Volte
05-20-2002, 02:54 PM
You can't.

Squirm
05-20-2002, 02:56 PM
The printscreen key takes a picture of the screen. This specific key can be disabled (though I very very much doubt using VBS or Javascript) but since there are other ways of capturing screenies, it is generally not considered good practice. Why would you want to do this?

:confused:

pisoftwar
05-21-2002, 06:32 AM
My employer has this idea that he can protect the document on the site and prevent someone from copying it, I showed him a demonstration of how many ways I could copy it, this was one.

The thing is if someone was desperate enough they could take pen and paper to copy it.

Still he does not want to make it easy for anyone to get the information.

pisoftwar
05-25-2002, 09:41 AM
My co-worker found it before me.
But he won't show me yet when I get it I will post it.
This is just to let you know it is possible.

Rezner
05-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Well, we will all be waiting patiently for this wonderful code. I still do not think that it is possible to disable the printscreen key with VBScript or JavaScript.

orufet
05-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Look, there are as many ways to steal information as there are Microsoft products (have you looked at their download list??). Your boss won't be able to protect the site from theives; it's impossible. Don't you think that if it were possible, sites would use it? Well? Show me one site that has it's source code truely protected and I'll pay you $1000.....(well...)

Just to give you a taste:

1. In IE, right click>>view source
2. In IE, add the Edit button to the toolbar, then edit the site in Notepad
3. In IE, View menu>>Source
4. In IE, If it's an image, click and drag it to the title bar
5. Look in your Temp. Internet Files
6. In Opera, right click>>Frame>>View Source
7. In Opera, Alt+F3
8. In Opera, View>>Source
9. In Opera, Ctrl+F3
10. In Netscape, View>>Source
11. Write a VB program using the Inet control and the OpenURL method
12. Write a java applet to grab the code.
13. Printscreen key

Need I continue? I'd really like to see your boss prevent all of these things from happening. He can't.

ChiefRedBull
05-25-2002, 01:42 PM
Hear hear. Even the most sophisticated no-right-click scripts are all flawed before they are even written IE and NS because of the way javascript events are detected by the browser. Protection on the web is impossible, unless you zip up your content, and only allow access to it via HTTPS after your user has logged in.

Agent
05-25-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by pisoftwar
Does anybody know how to prevent the print screen key from copying the information to the clipboard from a web page?
Don't show anybody the webpage.

But I do agree with Chief, you should disallow the webpage to people that do not need to see it. Make a password/login page.

Thinker
05-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Just to get some focus on this, all the other methods of stealing
content off of a page don't necessarily rely on copying to the
clipboard. I really wouldn't be surprised if there was some code
that could disable that. The point everyone is making, just doing
that isn't going to stop anyone.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum