Active X Control Help

Gazzo
05-29-2002, 02:53 PM
Hi can anybody help please?

I am working on an active x chart control which can be used on an ASP page which will create a simple line graph. I have no problems creating the control and running it in VB with a test project, but when I come to use it in ASP I am having problems.

The way the control works is very simple, it just basically sets the UserControl backcolor to white and then draws lines on the UserControl using the line method. When I come to use it in ASP I cannot get the lines to be displayed.

Can somebody give me advice on how to create a simple active x control which draws one line accross it that will show up in an ASP page. I can probably do the rest from there?

Thanks,
Gazzo.

Derek Stone
05-29-2002, 04:05 PM
UserControls have nothing to do with ASP, as ASP is a server-side language without the need for a user interface. You can however use the Package and Deployment Wizard that ships with Visual Basic to create the proper HTML <OBJECT> tags needed to display your ActiveX control.

Good Luck
-CL

Gazzo
05-30-2002, 03:32 AM
Hi CL, thanks for the reply.

I am using ASP to get the information from a database. I then want to use an activex control client side to display the info in a graphical format. Is this possible?

I didn't realize that you had to use the package and deployment wizard to package it up. I thought that you could just use the CLSID key value taken from the registry and then on the web page in the object tag put a CODEBASE value to the .ocx file on the server, which would then allow the client to download the ocx if they don't have it?

Cheers,
Gazzo.

Gazzo
05-30-2002, 04:32 AM
I have got my ocx file to work in my web page, basically using the technique I described in my last post. If anybody knows that this is the incorrect way to do it can you let me know please.

Cheers,
Gazzo.

Derek Stone
05-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Thats just fine. Most users simply find it easier to create the page using the PDW.

Good Luck
-CL

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum