SQL Server Agent Job Mysteriously Stops

Ogey
06-05-2002, 10:50 AM
I've got a Job defined in SQL Server Agent for SQL Server 2000. This particular job has 61 steps defined. Each step is calling the same DTS package but with different Global Variable parameters. (It's an import package - each step is importing a different data file.)

This job was running over several days' time (one step takes about 1.5 hours) but it just stopped after starting the 43rd step. The DTS package has lots of logging going on, so I know that the first 42 steps worked fine. The 43rd step was started but then the job just stopped.

Ordinarily, this isn't too shocking, usually some kind of error or data problem with the new file. But this didn't draw an error - it just stopped. No error message, nothing. If I do a "View Job History" on the Job, it has no record of the job running at all - usually it will give you a history of when the job was run, whether it was successful or not, and any applicable error statements.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone else?

Never mind - I just figured out why. In the middle of the night, the SQL Server machine stopped running. I'm not sure why that happened, but I'm sure it's not related to anything relevant to this forum.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum