i need some opinions...

kraftwerk
06-06-2002, 03:48 PM
www.jamcalc.org
site design: good or bad or somewhere in the middle?
color scheme: good or bad or somewhere in the middle?

thanks

Anis
06-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Its fine...
You can add some more professional look at it, if you arrange your Tables(boxes) in some Fix standard.. Colors are fine..
For Menu and features, better add some buttons, or make some difference. So, that Menus differ from other stuff..
:)

ChiefRedBull
06-07-2002, 02:42 AM
Not a bad start.

Make sure the fonts you are using are consistent. If not consistent, they must be consistent in their inconsistency (if you get what i mean). The smaller fonts you have on the right don't fit.

Also, the colors are a bit strong on the home page. Perhaps reduce the grey tones slightly to make them lighter. 80% of pro sites I've seen go for light tones rather than dark. Almost never use strong contrast.

Change the link hover thing - remove the black background. Extremely un-pro.

Also, the tutorials need arranging on less pages. Having such a lot to read is daunting, and many people don't have the time to read the whole lot. Seperate it out onto several pages, one for each part. Also, you have stuff aligned right to the left of the page, this isn't good. Makes it hard to follow wrapped sentences - just add a margin of 5 pixels or so.

Other than that - it looks good. I like it. :D

ps - all the above is just IMHO of course.

kraftwerk
06-07-2002, 10:24 AM
"Change the link hover thing - remove the black background. Extremely un-pro."
what do you mean? what should i change it to?

Agent
06-07-2002, 10:27 AM
When you put your mouse over a link, the background of the link
turned to black. He said it would be prettier if it stayed transparent
(didn't turn to black). I agree with him also.

Cogen
06-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Personally I think the site looks great. I couldn't check it in netscape, since the computer I'm on right now doesn't have it, but it works good in explorer 6.0, and scrolls horizontally great.
I think it's fine the way it is, however if you want a more professional look then I would change your color scheme. The blue doesn't look professional, but since everything else is black and grey, I'm not sure if you can find another color that would look any better. I could make suggestions if you want but I'm no graphics designer (although I do have web development experience), so you might think my ideas aren't any better. Just try playing with the colors of the menu header backgrounds, and your links.

That's just being picky, I do really like it. :)

In structure with your question ...

site design: good
color scheme: somewhere in the middle

kraftwerk
06-07-2002, 02:34 PM
ok, i want to just re-do the site design and color scheme. i think it needs to be done, because it would be much easier than simply "repairing" the current site.
i was also greatly influenced by ChiefRedBull's site. i'm not going to copy it, i was just influenced by it.
but, i cant really decide on a good color scheme. can somebody please give me some help on that one. thanks

ChiefRedBull
06-08-2002, 02:59 AM
I'd be happy for you to use elements of my design, I could even help with the redesign (http://www.fixit-solutions.co.uk).
I think good color schemes are often based around white and one other color, using several shades. Orange, purple, something light but catching, yet not too glarish.

kraftwerk
06-09-2002, 10:33 AM
here is what i've got so far....

http://jamcalc.org/test.html

ChiefRedBull
06-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Very nice! I like the menu!
Personally, I think you should've kept the title as a logo image rather than plain text, it goes well.
One thing though - the hoprizontal lines in the menu need to go all the way across the grey.

Xilica2k2
06-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Nice site.

I like the new menu.

Make the logo more graphical and like Anis said, "More Professional."

Purple, gray, and white go together. The original logo you had I like, and since it is gray you could go with that color scheme.

In my opinion, gray+black+blue is depressing.

Anyways, Great site. Keep up the good work. :)

kraftwerk
06-09-2002, 02:54 PM
"Personally, I think you should've kept the title as a logo image rather than plain text, it goes well."
yeah, i agree. i just put the text logo there b/c i havent made a new logo yet. maybe i'll use one of the old ones.

"the hoprizontal lines in the menu need to go all the way across the grey."
are you referring to the "line.gif" that is under all of the options in the menu? well, i'm using 800x600 res, so it goes across the grey. maybe i should extend it just a little bit.

also, in the grey row at the top, i want to put the day, date and year in the left corner and the login time in the right corner. how can i do this?

thanks for all of your help, guys! :)

kraftwerk
06-09-2002, 03:49 PM
ok, i tried to create the 2nd column for the news/updates/etc and it didnt work.
www.jamcalc.org/test.html
the part that says "[THIS IS WHERE THE NEWS WILL GO] " should be in the top-center of the page. i probably overlooked something

Xilica2k2
06-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Here is the code in order to make that second column:

kraftwerk
06-09-2002, 08:20 PM
what is this...
"& n b s p"

(ignore the spaces. it wouldnt show up w/o the spaces)

Xilica2k2
06-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Hey,

& n b s p is a "space" in html.

You can delete though. It is not necessary.

By the way: You have space out the "& n b s p" or else it won't show up on your posts. Of course, I see you did that. :)

kraftwerk
06-10-2002, 11:19 AM
the stuff on the right is not lining up under the top grey bar. why is it doing that????

ChiefRedBull
06-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Because you're tables are off somewhere. I'd suggest giving all the tables on your page a single pixel border, then you can fiddle around with them. Once its working fine, simply remove the borders.

Cogen
06-10-2002, 11:50 AM
The grey table that your date is in, is in a nested tr that declares itself as colspan="2" ... change it to colspan="3". Im not sure if there are more problems on the page, but that should fix that problem. :)

kraftwerk
06-11-2002, 11:08 AM
its basically done... www.jamcalc.org/test.html

i still have to add a poll on the right side and get the top bar working. does it seem like there's too much blue (from the links) in the Members box?

ChiefRedBull
06-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Wow. That's a heck of an improvement. 50 times better than the first site.. well done!! The blue you mentioned is fine - no problem at all. The only thing I would say is that the lower part of the page is a little too grey compared to the striking lilac at the top. Perhaps a little more of the lilac (purple) down below?

Otherwise, perfect :)

kraftwerk
06-11-2002, 04:00 PM
i changed the links from regular blue to dark blue. they turn to light purple (#666699) when you hover.
www.jamcalc.org/test.html

"The only thing I would say is that the lower part of the page is a little too grey compared to the striking lilac at the top. Perhaps a little more of the lilac (purple) down below?"
do you mean the right side of the page? the lower part is really really light grey. maybe your browser is reading it differently than mine. could you please post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

btw, thanks for the compliments

ChiefRedBull
06-11-2002, 04:26 PM
What I mean is that you have a strong band of purple across the top, then its all grey below that. I thought you could possibly change some of the grey in the main body of the page (left middle or right) to match the purple at the top. It looks fine as it is though, just a minor personal HO.

kraftwerk
06-11-2002, 04:28 PM
thats kind of what i was thinking. thanks for the advice

Xilica2k2
06-11-2002, 04:56 PM
That site is sweet.
From the original site to that, it is perfect I would say.

In my opinion, you should leave the bottom all white instead of keeping it purple. But thats just my HO. The purple can stay. Also, what about adding a cool logo in stead of having JamCalc in text.

John
06-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Nice work!

May I ask what software you are using for the site layout and html? I suspect you aren't hand coding this in notepad right?

Orbity

kraftwerk
06-12-2002, 05:04 PM
as a matter of fact, i am doing it by hand. but, if you could give me a suggestion on how to quicken things up a little bit, i would be very very glad to hear it.
however, i do take all of the pieces of code that are repeated throughout the site and put them into .inc files. then i use php "include" statements to put them on all of the different pages. that way i only have to update one file instead of 30 files

btw, when i dont have my screen fully maximized, the menu bar on the far left dips down a little bit. i attached a picture to show what i'm talking about.
when my browser window is fully maximized, it looks fine. but when its not, i have a problem. what is causing this?

John
06-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by kraftwerk
as a matter of fact, i am doing it by hand. but, if you could give me a suggestion on how to quicken things up a little bit, i would be very very glad to hear it.
however, i do take all of the pieces of code that are repeated throughout the site and put them into .inc files. then i use php "include" statements to put them on all of the different pages. that way i only have to update one file instead of 30 files...

I have always worked directly with the HTML as well by using a text editor with syntax highlighting and nothing more, that is why I was wondering what you used for this. Your code looks very clean and I was curious what editor produced it but I guess it was you :D

As far as the little problem you are having I am not sure because when I went back to the page it wasn't there. I can't recall if it did what you are showing last time I looked at it though.

Good Luck,
Orbity

kraftwerk
06-12-2002, 09:43 PM
"text editor with syntax highlighting"
i would like to have that? what is it called and where did you download it?

Cogen
06-12-2002, 10:14 PM
A text editor with syntax highlighting is just a program that displays text (like notepad), but understands certain words (code), and therefore can highlight key words to different colors/fonts. It works the same as visual basic. Comments are green by default, errors are red ... etc. Most editors let you customize all the code colors.
For anyone looking for a good text editor, I would strongly recommend HTML Kit. I primarily have done all my web programming using php, and it works great. It also supports color coding for HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, XSLT, JavaScript, VBScript, PHP, ASP, Java, Perl, Python, C/C++, Visual Basic, Pascal/Delphi, Lisp, SQL, INI/Conf, and more.
Your can download it for free (freeware) on downloads.com. It's a great editor!!!!!!!!! Also, it has a widow on the right side (default is right side anyway) that allows you to connect to whatever site your working on, and show you any file on the site. Therefore, instead of always working on a file, then uploading to your server via a ftp program, you can just open the "real" file thats on the server directly in the editor. Then when you save the file, it's automatically saved online. No extra step on uploading through a different program. This is a great idea and time saver, but caution must also be made, since if you click save when there are errors on the page, the errors go online. I've used this text editor for over a year, and havn't found any freeware editor even close to as good as it! :)

John
06-13-2002, 06:56 PM
And I will be different and reccomend THIS (http://www.fixedsys.com/context/) one.

Xilica2k2
06-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Excellent done Kraftwerk.

The image you attached looks superb with the new jamcalc.org logo.

Also thanks for the link Orbity, I have been looking for a good one for quite awhile.

Keep up the good web sites kraftwerk. :)

chris00
06-13-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by PharmacyMoon
The image you attached looks superb with the new jamcalc.org logo. :cool:

Good Job, I like the new logo too. :)

Keep up the good work. :D

FunctionMan
06-14-2002, 12:21 PM
The site looks great, but im not that big a fan of the colour scheme,but thats just me. hehe

John
06-15-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Cogen
...For anyone looking for a good text editor, I would strongly recommend HTML Kit... blah, blah ;)

I must admit that this looks pretty nice, but I don't know if I will be able to get by one small and yet large missing feature, no tabbed interface to navigate between open documents. This means I can't have my stylesheet and my webpage open at the same time and easily navigate between the two of them. IMHO this is a must for any programming editor. All in all a great editor and they didn't miss much, but like I said the one thing it seems they did overlook is one of the most important features, for me anyway. I could have done without the thesaurus in favor of this, but what can I say it is free.

For anyone interested you can get it HERE (http://www.chami.com/html-kit/)

Thanks for the link Cogen

Orbity

Xilica2k2
06-15-2002, 07:41 PM
Heh,

I downloaded ConTEXT because I think it is easier to change between languages and I could edit the Environment option in it to change what colors go where.

In HTML Kit I couldn't figure out how to change it to Visual Basic.
Thanks for bringing up the alternative Orbity. :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum