cool js tricks

kraftwerk
06-28-2002, 10:02 AM
i'd like to know about some of the cool js effects that you can use to alter images and such. like shake and blur. are there any others? how do i use them?

PS: i used the shake command here (http://jamcalc.org/logos.html)

gallicus
06-28-2002, 10:47 AM
luv that shake command....

kraftwerk
06-28-2002, 12:22 PM
yeah its great. i just like to know some more of those cool commands...

ChiefRedBull
06-28-2002, 05:50 PM
You can alter the transparency of images, but I think that's about it. Of course, once you can alter the alpha channel, you can overlay stuff...
Read up on www.dynamicdrive.com for lots of advanced stuff.

Rezner
07-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Here's a quick example I did up using JavaScript to control CSS layers.

With CSS and JS, there are infinite possibilities.

PS - This page only works with IE. I didn't implement Netscape and other considerations.

ChiefRedBull
07-11-2002, 04:54 AM
That's seriously scary.... a headless cat floating around.. :D

gallicus
07-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Nice example of how to use JS. I must start getting into it as I need to use it for client script for new .Net development, Argh! so much to learn. And yes the cat scared me too.:eek: :D

Rezner
07-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ChiefRedBull
That's seriously scary.... a headless cat floating around.. :D I thought I'd use something different. lol

I have been noticing that more and more sites are implementing "invasive advertising" with things like CSS, JS, and Flash. By this I mean that you practically have to look the advertisement -- sometimes you can't even close it. All in all, I believe it is a bad practice to disallow your viewers from being able to close the ad. This is more like "guerilla marketing".

One site in particular had a Mazda ad powered by CSS. I'm sitting there reading the stuff on the site and I see this little dot "coming closer". The next thing I know, this car drives by on the screen, whips a 180, throws up the Mazda ad and then peels out and zips off the screen.

In my opinion, it was "tight" -- it caught my attention, which is guess is the main point of ads to begin with. Who knows where this type of thing is heading in the future. However, like I said earlier, the invasiveness can reach a point where the ad causes a negative impact on the targeted viewer.

gallicus
07-12-2002, 02:49 AM
Yes this type of advertising is annoying a lot of the time. I was searching for some icons for an app at work and dozens of internet explorer sessions opened advertising at best gambling and at worst, well we all know what's out there. This sort of thing could get me the sack! I was certainly not searching for gambling sites or the other stuff, why should I be bombarded in this way!:(

Rezner
07-12-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by gallicus
I was certainly not searching for gambling sites or the other stuff, why should I be bombarded in this way!:(

Well, because the reason most of those icons are available in the first place is because of the advertising. The majority of the web is driven by advertisting. Very rarely are you going to find a site that has none (such as THIS one!:D).

The concept is the same as it is for spam. They "pummel" then viewers with millions of ads. If the get .5-1% of them to "bite", then they will make money. With popup ads, you don't even have to buy the product... all you usually have to do is clickthrough and the original ad host gets paid.

Believe it or not, people will buy and fall for about anything. It's the sad, sad truth.

gallicus
07-12-2002, 08:16 AM
True words!

double-helix
07-14-2002, 06:29 AM
i agrees, javascript is cool.

for tutorials, visit http://www.w3schools.com
for cut and paste scripts, visit http://javscript.internet.com

hope u find these helpful

gallicus
07-15-2002, 04:15 AM
w3schools sites are great places to start. I could your other link to work double-helix. Is this just me?

cheers
G:)

ChiefRedBull
07-15-2002, 06:39 AM
http://javAscript.internet.com

gallicus
07-15-2002, 07:03 AM
Ta!:D

double-helix
07-18-2002, 10:47 AM
oops, :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum