Global.asa for each application

Sylvain
07-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

How I can tell to my web server I have different web application?

I explain. We have an intranet an we have some application for engineers, humain ressources ... We must move our intranet on a new web server. We have old web application done by another programmer and we have new web application done by me. My new directory for application is put on subdirectory, of our intranet, manually. The problem is each application is see like one application. If I have a application variable in the engineer application I can see this application variable in the humain ressource application. Why? The problem affect the global.asa because I it's see like one application, Ican't have a global.asa in the application of engineer and another in HR.

The first programmer who did first application, I did like separate application but I don't know how he did. And this programmer isn't in our companie now.

I don't know if I must use IIS console to specify to a folder that is a separate web application folder. Maybe it can help you if I say the applications who work like separate application have a copy of the directory at the root when it watch with IIS console. And the copy of the directory at the root have a little icon like The Earth in a blue box.

Help...

Thinker
07-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Yes, each app should be in its own Web Site folder created from
the IIS Console. Each one can have its own Global.asa file.

Sylvain
07-05-2002, 09:54 AM
Thanks Thinker,

It's become more clear in my mind but I have some questions, again.

When you said "each app should be in its own Web Site folder ", do we do that with the option in IIS console when we right click -> New -> Site? Do I must do that for each on my application?

Can I create a folder applications and put all my applications in it? Each time I will do an another application I will use IIS console and say new site and put this site in the big applications folder.

Thinker
07-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Each app should be in its own folder, but the folders can be real
in inetpub, or virtual (located somewhere else), or sub folders of
other applications. We are now in an area I am not very well
versed in so hopefully someone else who knows more will clarify
this.

Rezner
07-05-2002, 02:12 PM
By default the webfolder is "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\". When you create a sub folder (for example "wow"), it will be accessed by web users with "www.yoursitename/wow/page.html"

You do this by navigating to the wwwroot folder mentioned above through Windows Explorer or My Computer and then simply creating a new folder by right clicking and selecting "new" and then "folder". Do not use IIS console... that is for something totally different.

IIS has the capabilities to serve up pages for multiple websites. That can get pretty complex though -- and I don't think this is what you are asking for.

Sylvain
07-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Okay for that but can you tell me why I can see the application variable of the other application if I have those application. App SylvainX and SylvainXX.

First Application is SylvainX in InetPut\wwwroot\SylvainX
I have this page asppage1.asp with:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<%
application("VarSylvainX") = 31

Response.Write "application(""VarSylvainX"") = " & application("VarSylvainX") & "<br>"
%>

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">

</HEAD>
<BODY>
</BODY>
</HTML>

The result is application("VarSylvainX") = 31
and it's okay

The second application is SylvainXX in InetPut\wwwroot\SylvainXX
I have this page asppage2.asp with:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<%

Response.Write "application(""VarSylvainX"") = " & application("VarSylvainX") & "<br>"
%>

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">

</HEAD>
<BODY>
</BODY>
</HTML>

No assignment of an application variable
The result is application("VarSylvainX") = 31
Why?????

If it can't be see like 2 distinct applications, it can't has their own global.asa.

Thinker said: "each app should be in its own Web Site folder created from the IIS Console". Those tests was create in a folder created manually with explorer windows.

Thank you for your help.

Rezner
07-06-2002, 08:44 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q197323

Go to the above MSKB page and follow the instructions. This configs IIS to allow recognition of individual global.asa files.

Sylvain
07-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Thank you Rezner,

It's working, now.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum