Explain this one. Ideas?

Rezner
07-05-2002, 02:44 PM
I have an ASP site running on WinXP Pro and IIS.

Well... the site works fine when accessed from the same computer that the server is running on. BUT, when it is accessed from the Internet or from another computer on the Intranet, it crashes. Not only does the site crash, but the system spontaneously powers down and then reboots.

I, after about an hour of narrowing things down, have determined the problem to be the "pound including" of additional .asp files. I guess I've gotten into the habit of using .asp include files instead of .inc files because I can edit them in InterDev vice WordPad. (interestingly enough, when I change the problem file to be .inc -- then everything works fine.)
Also, if I copy the content out of the included .asp file into the source file and don't #include it, then everything works fine as well.

WHY? WHAT CAUSES THIS? I have developed sites on other systems using this technique and it works. I have ran every update I can find for IIS and it still does it. Anybody have an explanation?

This, causes a crash...(only if the site is accessed from the Internet or other computer on the Intranet)
<!-- #include file=general_functions.asp -->

But this, does not...
<!-- #include file=general_functions.inc -->

Robby
07-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Hmm, I've used the same method for other peoples' sites and it works fine. Even on my own IIS, but local, I will try it when/if I host my own site.

BTW, I'm on Win2k. I'll let you know if it happens to me.

Thinker
07-07-2002, 10:38 AM
My guess is something isn't quite right with the IP configuration or
DNS relating to this one XP server. It almost sounds like some
kind of recursive thing that finally crashes the computer. It seems
to think it needs to do something special to retrieve that asp page.
Like I said, just a guess.

Rezner
07-07-2002, 10:43 AM
I donno what is going wrong with it.

The XP Pro is the full version, but I installed it as an upgrade over Win98.

I setup a laptop right next to the computer with the IIS, and watched it. The very second I submit a page request, the system shuts down (as if you pulled the powerplug).

Thinker
07-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Are there event logs with XP Pro like with NT/2K server? If so, you
should see something there.

Rezner
07-07-2002, 11:19 AM
Hmmm.... good question. I will have to poke around.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum