question on submitting things

kraftwerk
07-09-2002, 03:47 PM
on my website, i have a Current Projects page where it shows all of the members' current projects. right now, i am doing it by hand. they tell me their projects and i put them up there.
how do i allow them to submit it themselves? i want to have a form they can fill out. i want the form to have these features:
-- a drop-down box for them to select their name
-- enter password
-- type in current projects
-- submit button
after they fill out the form, the current projects page should be automatically updated. how can i do this?

Cogen
07-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Basically, you will want to setup a web page with a form that contains the fields you want, then when the user is done filling their info in, have them click an update button. When they click it, simply send their information to a database. Then on your "member current projects" page (or whatever its called), make it dynamic by grabbing the desired information from the database.

That's pretty vague, but it's what you need to do.

ChiefRedBull
07-09-2002, 04:19 PM
To add to what cogen said - you can't use plain ol' HTML for this. You need a serverside scripting language of some sort. Perl, PHP, ASP etc...
Look for "news page/scripts" on various CGI archives. That's the sort of thing you'd be able to customize to accept passwords.

kraftwerk
07-09-2002, 06:50 PM
ok, i finished the page:
http://jamcalc.org/members.html

i havent added a cgi form handling program yet.

any suggestions?

Rezner
07-09-2002, 07:26 PM
Using ASP (VBScript) would probably be the "easiest" transition for a programmer familiar with VB.

www.w3schools.com has good info on ADO, which is what you should learn if you choose the ASP route. You'll also find some good ASP startup info there.

Cogen
07-09-2002, 11:35 PM
One thing I would suggest before learning anything new would be to check with the person in charge of your internet server. Is it yours personally/friends/business? There is no gaurantee that you can use all of the scripting languages listed. It depends on how the server is settup. For example, the server that my site runs on supports php scripting, however it doesn't support asp.

kraftwerk
07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
yes, my server does support asp. along with perl, php, etc...

i just want to do this in perl (or php, if possible). and the program i need to write has to do this:
valiate the pw (pw's are different for each member)
post the projects info under the appropriate name at this page: http://about.jamcalc.org/currentprojects.php

so, the projects info will have to be stored into a database(s), right?

would this code be pretty simple?

Cogen
07-10-2002, 12:45 AM
would this code be pretty simple?

Yes and no. You can do it without learning anything too advanced (depending on how secure you want your password), but if you have no experience using the scripting language you choose then you'll definately need to learn some stuff.

so, the projects info will have to be stored into a database(s), right?

Yes, but I personally would store your members names and any other info about them in the database also.

Rezner gave a link on ASP learning above. I don't know anything about Perl, but if you decide on php, then a great site is php.net.

ChiefRedBull
07-10-2002, 06:44 AM
I've been using Perl for a while, and it's a like a cross between C and JavaScript, but has added features too. Perl does have some DB handling, but you'd be better off using PHP, since you're using PHP already - why not use some more PHP?

Basically, you want a news script. Rather than reinvent the wheel - check these out:
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/News_Posting/
You should be able to modify one of those to accept an extra parameter (password) and check it from a plain text file. They're written in Perl - if you get stuck, gimme a bell. ;)

kraftwerk
07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
"They're written in Perl"
i though you said i should write it in php?

ChiefRedBull
07-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Well, you could do (since you've already done the rest of your site in php) - but, since they're already written, and your server supports it, why waste time writing your own that does the same thing?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum