Styles - they rock !

double-helix
07-13-2002, 08:32 AM
having used html for about 2 yrs now, i like to think im an expert :) , and so, i keep tring out new layouts. one of my fav is using a layout, combined with javascripts, and loadsa images. a common example is http://scripts.sencerd.co.uk - this is one of m recent works. however, i need something new, and i was wondering, does anone have any particular styles they like to use?

second question, and this turns a bit. i love using new tech, such as scripting - jscript, vbscript, javascript, asp.net, and c# in places. this is great. what isnt great is this : people write a web page, and give it, oo, say, an extension of.php / .asp / .aspx
then, when u view the source, u find the person isnt so clever, and has just named it that to look good, cos there isnt a hint of scripting in there.

sorry if this is pathetic, but it is - it wrongly justifies skill levels, taking kredit from competent people like us

thanks - btw, http://www.html.sphosting.com for a HTML tutorial.

also - squirm, ur work and coding is well l337 m8 :)

double-helix
07-13-2002, 08:37 AM
i love using style sheets as they are creative and really make a web page look wiked. but, as mentioned in one ofmy previos posts, i need a change. please, if anyone has an definitive styles that they want to share, contact me, via post / email

irish_kneecaps@hotmail.com

i am thinking of putting up a style page on my sites, so if you could, please include the following:

> style sheets [ if any are external ]
> test html page
[html page requirements]
>> example of table
>> example of scrollbars
>> example of links
>> example of text
>> example of classes
>> example of forms
>> example of anything else u care to include
[end html stuff]
> readMe on style

comments in style would be appreciated

for HTML tutorial, visit http://www.html.sphosting.com
for Cs / mIRC scripts - http://www.scripts-cs.tk

thanks for all the help, and visit the vb.net forums, if u r interested, i have quite a few posts there :)

Thinker
07-13-2002, 11:25 AM
what isnt great is this : people write a web page, and give it, oo, say, an extension of.php / .asp / .aspx
Hmmm, you do understand those are server-side scripts and you
can't view the source on them? Or did I miss your point?

Volte
07-13-2002, 01:32 PM
The scripting is executed on the server, so it just generates the
HTML. When you view the source, you only get the source to
what you see, not to the actual ASP.

double-helix
07-14-2002, 03:39 AM
sorry bout this, i think i explained it badly. what i mean is this. people use .aspx / .asp / .php, when fair enough, there is no evident use of it in the source code, as it's SSI. but, when u look at the page, not the, code, you see no evident use of it either. example. someone has a site which uses ASP supported forums. do you do this :

> You have one page of ASP - ie. The Forums. Do you :
> Make the whole site with .asp ext to keep consistency? even if there is no asp scripting whatsoever.
> Be complient, and use a .asp ext for the forums, but nothing else.

Now, you people must hate me already, for these comments i have made, but i am sorry to say that i would choose the latter, because obviously, the .asp ext isnt required, but secondly, don't .htm pages load faster because the scripts aren't interpreted on server?

Please post if ou have an comments regarding this. and yes, feel free to shout at me, i have difficulty explaining things :p

Thinker
07-14-2002, 10:12 AM
You just don't seem to understand how ASP works. There is no
way by looking at the source to know if it was generated by
server-side script, or just passed a static html page. If there is no
script in a page with an ASP extension, the overhead of running
it though the ASP engine is very small.

double-helix
07-14-2002, 02:11 PM
you're right. guess i shouldnt bother posting again until i've learnt how to be as clever as you. THaNKS for pointing it out to me :)

double-helix
07-14-2002, 02:12 PM
im not really that into ASP anyway, i think i'll keep my nose out of it. Sorry to trouble you.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum