How to give write permissions...

_RIP_DREAMS
07-20-2002, 01:27 PM
using ASP so i can write my files???

i am using FSO! but he says he cants write coz he has no permissions...i went to ISS and puted read, write, script source access...everything! but it still doesnt let me write! what am i missing?

Derek Stone
07-20-2002, 02:11 PM
You can't set permissions via ASP unless you're Windows authenticated as an administrator. Even then the process of setting permissions would require an ActiveX DLL. Just think of the security threat otherwise...

_RIP_DREAMS
07-20-2002, 02:12 PM
so...what is the best way to track all the ip's of ppl who see my site? a data base?

Thinker
07-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Yes, a database is a good idea, but it should be possible to give
the correct permissions to the web server user so that the ASP
page can instantiate a FileSystemObject to write. I think you
have to do this from the Security tab on the properties dialog for
the particular directory you want to change. Click the Permissions
Button and make sure the IWAM_<systemname> user has write
permissions. Even when changed to have write permissions in
IIS Service Manager, it doesn't seem to really give write access.
Of course, I could be looking at something wrong.

Derek Stone
07-20-2002, 10:42 PM
The IIS service only runs with LocalSystem privileges, as do most services. Until it impersonates an user it has access to literally nothing on the file system. The user accounts that IIS is set up to impersonate are IUSR_<systemname> and IWAM_<systemname>. The IUSR account is used for anonymous users while the IWAM account is used to spawn out-of-process web applications. So, until these two accounts are given the proper privileges via the Security tab (as Thinker mentioned) IIS has no way of accessing the files, even if you give read/write access in the IIS Service Manager.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum