First.asp not working ?

AnakinVB
07-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Hello,
I placed my first 2 asp pages (first.asp and hellowworld.asp) in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot directory. When I view it in I.E. nothing happens. I have IIS installed and I'm using Win2K. What am I missing?
thx,
Anakin

Rezner
07-23-2002, 10:03 PM
What happens when you go to localhost/first.asp ?

AnakinVB
07-23-2002, 10:09 PM
It worked when I did that! Why?
thx

Rezner
07-23-2002, 10:14 PM
Well, I suspect that you ran the .asp file itself (perhaps by double clicking it in explorer) and didn't run it through the web server. You need to run it through the ASP engine in IIS in order to parse the .asp script into HTML. This happens automatically when you make a request to the .asp file by using a browser to talk to the web server.

Also, you don't have to use "localhost". You can type in the name of your computer (and if you're on a intranet, so can other network users). If you're setup with a DNS server on the Internet, then users can type in www ____ com/net/org/whatever and get to your site. Or, if you don't have an actual named domain, Internet users can type your IP into their web browser instead. This method is usually only worth it if you're connected with a broadband connection that has a static IP.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum