Aspsmartupload Problem

ashish908
07-24-2002, 03:20 AM
I am using the aspsmartupload component in a site which i have developed for allowing users to upload their photograph on the site. Yesterday I discovered an unusual problem on the pages which were using that component.

Uploading photographs is optional for the users. i found that when users upload their photographs the script related to upload component works fine. but when users chose to proceed without uploading their photographs then we get the following error

"The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

The same script was working fine for last 3 months. but yesterday it gave the problem. May be this is a bug in the component or something? i am not sure. Can someone suggest how to proceed with the problem.

Thanks in advance

ChiefRedBull
07-24-2002, 12:05 PM
I would start by examining your server logs. Then check you have the script and component setup as per the instructions. Next check the components FAQ, and finally email tech support.

Rezner
07-24-2002, 12:29 PM
I would guess that this is a logic problem in the script. If it works when you upload the picture but not when you don't -- then portions of the upload code must be firing when they're not supposed to be.

Is the page where the upload is conducted pre-fabricated (you downloaded it) or have you customized/created it?

ashish908
07-25-2002, 03:49 AM
I dont think the problem is with the script, because the same script was working fine from last 10 months. Even in my local machine, the scripts works fine. The page where upload is conducted is created by me,i have not downloaded it.

ChiefRedBull
07-25-2002, 06:05 AM
The error message you receive sounds like a web server error message. If the text you received in the error is not in the script anywhere, or in the object, then it is a server error, and i suggest you consult your server technicians..

Rezner
07-25-2002, 08:28 AM
Does the error message (seems to be a custom server error page) kick you back a line number in the asp file where an error occured?

ashish908
07-26-2002, 01:59 AM
No it does not do so

Rezner
07-26-2002, 07:44 AM
According to what you said, you are able to successfully create and use the object on another page. If this is true, then you have some type of error in your code.

ashish908
07-26-2002, 08:39 AM
No Rezner i think you got me wrong, i am able to use the same object in the same page and it runs properly if i upload the photograph. the error occurs only when i dont upload the photograph (Uploading Photograph is optional). The same page was working properly previously with/without photograph. The same page also working properly on local server. I know for sure that it is not something to do with the script, but then what could be the areas to check. I consulted the server technicians and told them to reregistere the component on the server, they said that they did that, but the problem persists. What are the other possible areas where i can tell them to check?

Rezner
07-26-2002, 11:02 AM
If you don't need the object when people aren't uploading a picture, then make 100% sure that the server is not attempting to create it and/or destroy it at that point of time.

In other words, make sure that the object is not being utilized in any way when there's no picture to upload. If the object is being used wrongly, the errors may vary (or not exist at all) when you move around to different webservers.

This is just a guess on my part.

ashish908
07-27-2002, 01:49 AM
Just putting "response.end" at the start of the page, the error persists, that means, the error persists before it even executed a single line of code, which ascertain that the problem lies with the web server or the component itself

Rezner
07-27-2002, 11:58 AM
To debug it, throw in some "Respone.Write x" statements (where x represents a integer that you increment with each time you place it). With this, you can see what point the script is crashing.

Thinker
07-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ashish908
Just putting "response.end" at the start of the page, the error persists, that means, the error persists before it even executed a single line of code, which ascertain that the problem lies with the web server or the component itself
Maybe you need a <% Response.Buffer = True %> at the very
top of your page.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum