DHTML starter question

polarbear199
08-03-2002, 03:56 AM
This is my first time picking up a dhtml project. Can someone give me a hint on the code for a submit button.

I have a file upload but I don't know how to get the submit button to execute the upload? Also where do you input your server host info? Thanks.

Flyguy
08-04-2002, 03:12 PM
DHMTL has nothing to do with a submit button.
You can use javascript or vbscript for this.
Have a look here (http://developer.irt.org/script/form.htm#7)

Isno
08-04-2002, 10:51 PM
What is DHTML exactly? I checked a tutorial awhile ago but it started shoving javascript down my throat after one page....

Flyguy
08-05-2002, 02:53 AM
Quote from http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~mpr1/PChelpcenter/dhtml.htm:

DHTML (Dynamic Hypertext Markup Language) is a combination of technologies which work together to allow version 4+ browsers to produce more interactive page effects. Whereas previously a user would have to reload a page to change the content, DHTML allows content changes triggered by the user.

When a web page written in HTML downloads to a browser, its content is static (ie it can't be changed without re-loading the page or loading another page). What DHTML (Dynamic Hypertext Markup Language) aims to do is to allow the user to change the content without a re-load. DHTML isn't a specific language but a collection of existing technologies which work together. Namely HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), JavaScript, CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and DOM (Document Object Model). CSS is a method of separating the style of a document (font sizes, colours, etc) from its content using style declarations either inline in HTML tags or using links to external style documents. The DOM is a bit like a map which the browser constructs, when a page downloads, to hold references to all the elements in the document. Both CSS and DOM, which were introduced in both Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator version 4 browsers, can be read from or written to with JavaScript. It's this scripting which allows a page to be dynamic. DHTML pages have to be able to detect whether a user's browser is Netscape or Explorer, then use an appropriate script, since both browsers have their own very different versions of the DOM. This can make designing DHTML pages, which appear identical in both browsers, a challenge.

Isno
08-05-2002, 06:30 PM
That clears up a few things, thanks

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum