Passing data from ActiveX to URL?

diver
08-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know...

If I have an ActiveX control on the web page... and I want to submit data to a URL from the ActiveX control... how do I do that?

For example...
Imagine an ActiveX control with a command button.
Once the command button is clicked... I want to get hold of a string or a number that I can pass elsewhere on the web page.

Once that string or number is saved into some kind of session variable or something... I could use it anywhere, right? Is this possible?

Any ideas?

Thanks
diver

Thinker
08-08-2002, 03:29 PM
If you need it on a new page, you will have to submit it back to
the server in a form element. If you need access within the same
page, it would need to be exposed as a property, and should be
accessible from javascript. Otherwise, you would have to come up
with your own client and server protocol based on tcp/ip and do
the transmission yourself. There was a sample app that worked
this way in MSDN, it used a java applet as the communication
device.

diver
08-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Thinker...
Was searching through some things today... found something... looks like the ActiveX can use a 'Hyperlink' object that will fire the value directly into the URL. Very, very cool.

diver

Thinker
08-08-2002, 07:43 PM
I never think about using the url because in most cases you want
to hide these values, but in your case there shouldn't be any
security concerns. Sounds good.

diver
08-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Well... you bring up a good point Thinker.

Microsoft already beat us there. If you use it in conjunction with an XML template... it's awesome... you just call the template on the server like a stored procedure. I tried it today and I could not believe how good it worked. Don't see any SQL anywhere.

diver

Thinker
08-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Even better. If you have an links to sites that explain what you
are doing and how it works, I would be interested.

diver
08-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Here you go. This the top link... but you need to print off about 4 below that one. I haven't got to the parameter passing yet... but I will soon. Basically, the combo boxes in ASP are allright, but they are getting old. I'm thinking about creating some form of fancy SQL search (point and click) style to develop custom SQL statements and then pass them as url's with parameters.

Executing Template Files Using HTTP
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsql/ac_xml1_114c.asp

diver

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum