doubt in ASP

ashish908
08-12-2002, 07:56 AM
There is a doubt which i have. I am developing a site using ASP and MS-Access. I have a particular piece of code which i want should be executed once every day. I dont own a server and hosted the site on some ISP server by buying space. Had i used SQL Server i could have created a job or something to achieve this. But i am using MS-Access. Can somebody help?

Thanks in advance

Thinker
08-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Your best bet is to create a hidden web page that does the
process when it is hit, then schedule a computer you control to
hit that page once a day.

ashish908
08-12-2002, 08:38 AM
how do we schedule the computer to hit the page?

TheWizardofInt
08-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Create a standard project

Drop a timer on it

have the timer check once an hour to see if it is between midnight and 1:00am (or whatever time you want)

When it is, then something like this

Public Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
'Public Declare Function SetWindowPos Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal hWndInsertAfter As Long, ByVal X As Long, ByVal Y As Long, ByVal cx As Long, ByVal cy As Long, ByVal wFlags As Long) As Long

Private Sub ActivatePage()
OpenUrl "www.mywebsite.com/mypage.htm"
End Sub

Public Function OpenURL(ByVal URL As String) As Long
'Allows the user to open a URL in the default browser
OpenURL = ShellExecute(0&, vbNullString, URL, vbNullString, vbNullString, vbNormalFocus)
End Function

FocusedChaos
08-15-2002, 05:41 PM
whats the code do? does it need to be executed every day or just once before the first person sees it?

ashish908
08-15-2002, 11:41 PM
You can just run the program once, which will then continue running in the background.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum