convert qbasic to vb5

tomjansen
01-15-2001, 09:40 AM
i want to convert a qbasic 4.5 program with dialog the com ports to a VB 5 application.
Please help me.

Helmar
01-15-2001, 09:58 AM
What does "with dialog the com ports" mean?

In general, the only way to port such an application would be to create a new VB5/6 application from scratch, adding all the user interfaces.

Then, if you have SUB's or FUNCTION's or even open code from your old version, you should be able to cut and paste them into your VB app with little or no changes.

Of course, since I don't think you can "Cut" from a DOS application, you'll have to save the QBASIC program in text format and then edit it with a text editor.

As to COM ports, you'll have to use the VB ocx mscomm32.ocx or the one from http://crescent.progress.com to access serial COM ports.

Helmar B. Herman, VP ProtoProducts

NoahBody
01-15-2001, 12:42 PM
Helmar,
Open up DOS as just a small window. Right-click on the title bar. On the resulting pop-up menu, choose 'Edit>>Mark". The cursor will become a little larger and you can mark the text with your mouse.
After marking, right-click on the title bar again, choose, "Edit>>Copy" and now it's in the clipboard for use.
BTW - Choosing "Edit>>Paste" will paste the clipboard text onto the command line.

The biggest problem porting is the syntax differences, especially, the "Open" statment and getting rid of line numbers, if there are any. Since VB doesn't have a true vertical delete function, I usually take it into an old copy of QEdit I have.

->Noah

Helmar
01-15-2001, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tip on cutting and pasting from a DOS window.

My code with QB45 and PDS 7.1 never used line numbers, but if they were used, then they will have to be removed.

Helmar B. Herman, VP ProtoProducts

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum