protocol Help

Its-a-me-mario
08-23-2002, 08:56 AM
Hi,

This is abit out of my league, I need to design a protocol for my client server to communicate to. I am creating a Live Customer Service application similar to LivePerson (if you are unfamiliar with LivePerson goto http://www.liveperson.com). Please can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Rezner
08-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Please be more definitive. What exactly is the purpose of this protocol?

ChiefRedBull
08-23-2002, 10:55 AM
All you need to do is decide on what functions each piece of the software is going to need, and what sort of data they're going to be sending back and forth. Then, think up some prefixes for each bit...
For example, say I had a client, and I wanted to tell the server my local time, i might send something like this:
LTIME:10:00:00PM
The five characters on the front define what sort of information this is, if I wanted to send my IP address, it might look like this:
CLIIP:127.0.0.1
As long as the client and server both know what the various prefixes mean, they can communicate effectively.

Its-a-me-mario
08-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I will be using the Winsock control to establish a conection. The Operator end will be the Visual Basic Application and the visitor side is based on HTML + JavaScript which are embedded in the page. The Chat window will be GUI, HTML based. Communication between the chat window and the server is java based. In case Java is not enabled on the visitor's machine the communication is done via JavaScript.

ChiefRedBull
08-23-2002, 01:37 PM
Um.. good.

Its-a-me-mario
08-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Chief,

LivePerson uses port 80 and UDP 7424, does that mean they did not create there own protocol for there application?

bionicdonkey
08-23-2002, 09:15 PM
u could probably just use TCP/IP protocol suite to communicate

ChiefRedBull
08-24-2002, 05:04 AM
You will have to use TCP or UDP as the base communications layer, but then you have to think up a set of commands to send via TCP or UDP.

Ports have nothing to do with it.. they will have sorted out a set of commands that define what the data they're sending back and forth is.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum