Elven/Orcish/Dwarvish Translator for an RPG

Mithrandel
01-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Here's a little something that took me four hours to whip up, plus an hour of going through the Silmarillion and other resources looking for words to include.

I've wrapped up all the code into a neat little module that you can drop into your own RPG. All the languages are scripted in my VERY simple translateScript, so you can make up your own languages if you feel the need. I've included an example for Elvish, Dwarvish, and Orcish (Elvish has a 500 word dictionary, so it 'sounds' the most authentic).

For anyone who's interested, this is an exercise in: simple scripting, string replacement, and tolkein fanboy-ism. Have fun! =)

RabidChimp
01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Tolkein Rules!!! One of the best trilogies (sp?) ever, if not the best.:cool: (Lord of The Rings)

Edit: Awesome Mithrandel, very good job!:D

Geuis
01-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Good job on this one. Fun to play around with.
Elvish Translation:
Veed jeq eh ltus eha. Kyh an pwio ireyhd sult.

Heh.

Mithrandel
01-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Too bad I didn't include an Elvish->English translator. =P

See, the whole point of this is so you can have, say, an MMORPG where people can learn language skills, such as elvish. If a player speaks in elvish, only those people who understand elvish as well will get the properly translated version - elsewise, their client will translate the text into something that 'sounds' like elvish would to someone who didn't understand it. =)

Gamer X
01-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Neat little proggie :D

An orc's language is called Morbeth (Black Speech), Dwarves speak Khuzdul, and there are a few different Elven languages: Silvan, the native language of the Silvan Elves; Sindarin, that of the Sindar Elves; and Quenya, the High Language, spoken in Middle-Earth by the Noldor Elves.

The letter replacement you're using would be fine for confusing those who don't know the languages you've set, but it's not accurate. Tolkien didn't just throw together some letters to make foreign sounding words, he developed each of the entire languages, even down to unique pronunciation and grammar.

Arigato,
Gamer X

Mithrandel
01-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks Gamer X. =)

Your point is very true - I surely wouldn't fool a Tolkein expert. But then again, I thought that a few people know a smattering of elvish, and almost no one actually knows the language. Like myself - I can recognize words such as 'Galad', but I surely couldn't hold conversation in the language.

This is Sindarin, by the way (at least, I think it is. =P). Quenya, in my opinion, is more flutey, and based on initial tests, I couldn't get my cypher to work as well for Quenya as I could for Sindarin.

And remember - before cyphering, the program checks the text entered against a list of ~500 words (for elvish, I couldn't find as many words for Dwarvish & the Black Speech). So unless someone who is fluent in Elvish uses the program, the result looks Elvish, and even is, to some extent, truly Elvish. =)

Gamer X
01-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Here (http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/sindarin.htm) is a good resource on Sindarin. I plan to attempt to learn it after I've finished Japanese (there's a lot more practicality to Japanese :p)

I assume your nickname is Sindarin, I did a bit of research, found a few possibilities (am I anywhere close?):

Mithrendel(Grey Horror) = Mithren(Grey) + Del(Horror, Disgust)
Mithrandir(Grey Wanderer) = Mith(White fog, pale mist, or grey) + Randir(Wanderer)
or
Mithrendel(Grey Circular Star) = Mith(grey) + Rend(Circular) + El(Star)

Just to be even, my Sindarin name is Erelás, meaning Lone Leaf.

Arigato,
Gamer X

Mithrandel
01-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Heh, thanks for that resource, I'll look into that. =)

Mithrandel... actually, it was meant to mean 'grey foot', though I accidently switched the 'a' in ran and the 'e' in del. You'll have to forgive me, I was only seven or eight at the time I came up with the name. It was also selected for its closeness to Mithrandir... 'cuz Gandalf was just too cool for words. =)

I just thought about the possibility of having a Tolkein expert playing an RPG with this language module in it (of course, with a larger dictionary than just 500 words)... it would kinda negate the value of learning Elvish.

Then again, like I said, Tolkein nuts of that caliber should be fairly rare. =)

aaa
01-10-2003, 08:37 PM
thats quite strange, that there are people can speak invented languages from a book....

Optikal
01-10-2003, 08:40 PM
I love LOTR, but I have to say, you guys have WAAAAYYYYY too much time on your hands.

aaa
01-10-2003, 09:08 PM
i agree :)

trevland06
01-10-2003, 09:43 PM
i also agree but thats still really awsome! lol. thats really cool

vbnewb23
01-11-2003, 01:04 AM
great program. I looked at the notepad one where you have all the words and stuff. How did you go about doing that. it looks really confusing

Mithrandel
01-11-2003, 02:09 AM
vbnewb23:
I simply wrote the 'languages.txt' file in notepad. I didn't use any program to generate it - the scripting language was simple enough so that I could just enter the values myself, and generally not worry about screwing anything up. If I misspelled a word, few people would notice. =)

As for the scripting itself...

I sense another 'Mithrandel'-branded tutorial coming up... =)

Gamer X
01-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by aaa
thats quite strange, that there are people can speak invented languages from a book.... Japanese, and English for that matter, are invented languages, and I can speak them out of a book. The only thing that makes Sindarin different is that it's relatively new. But 1337 is even newer, and it's, erm, spoken quite widely.

Who knows, maybe Sindarin (or maybe Morbeth :eek: ) will become the new "elite" language.

And I have hardly enough time on my hands as it is.

Arigato,
Gamer X

aaa
01-11-2003, 09:55 PM
yeah but i dont see any use what so ever apart from understanding the new movies

learn something like mandarin so u can listen in on ppl :)

Mithrandel
01-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Feh. 1337 isn't a language, so much as a perversion of the tactics used by the 2600ers of old... or so I've heard. =)

You see, on certain BBS and news:// servers, one would be censored if you dared utter the word 'hacker'. So eventually, people began using letter replacement in certain words: Hacker became Hakker or Hacxer or Hack3r.

Eventually, the newbs picked it up and started doing the same thing, except their intention wasn't to get past the censor-bots, but to look k00L. You will never see an elder hacker use M|x3D c@S3, because there really isn't any need to. True hackers share the results of their escapades because they want to be admired by their peers... w|2i7|Ng |n 1337-$p3@|< isn't going to garner you respect.

Then again, this is just hearsay, and you 'ought to be a little skepical about anything that comes from a guy with a misspelled Elvish name. =)

As for mandarin... well, there aren't any chinese people where I live (in Arizona). Plenty of mexicans, though... that's why I took French! =D

robobot4
01-12-2003, 07:08 PM
jw but is there any way to make exe it? It always error when i try

Mithrandel
01-12-2003, 07:56 PM
That's very interesting, Robobot... tell me, what version of VB are you using?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum