how to design a magic square game

tanestee
03-01-2003, 11:01 PM
hi hi i'm new in VB. i'm here to ask some expert advice and guideline on how to design a magic square for children. The square is in 3x3 grid with nine numbers. the two diagonals add up to the same amount that is 15.can anyone help me to design how the system should work. i have no idea on how to do it.this is not just to design the interface but the defination of what code executes on the client, what the function of the server code is, what the messages and patterns of message exchange are between the client and server and the tables and fields of the database on the server. the client dose not read and write the databse directly but they send the message to the server and then the server responds with message that allow the client program to present the player with game. huh sound very tedious thing to be done. i reallly need some xpert guide n help... thank you very much for those who help me..thankss

Machaira
03-02-2003, 07:25 AM
I would recommend learning the basics first. If you can afford to, buy Jonathan Harbour's excellent book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/193184125X/qid=1046611576/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1385810-2309553?v=glance&s=books

GavinO
03-02-2003, 11:58 AM
As for a magic square, it will most likely involve an array of TextBox controls, and some code in their Change() events to recalculate the sums. You can probably put the bit that announces a win in there too. Something like the MsgBox() command would do nicely. Note that an array of TextBoxes will make it easier to code than individual TextBoxes. By array I mean setting the Name property of each the same, and having the Index property different. This limits you to one Change() event that recalculates, rather than 9.

tanestee
03-03-2003, 08:31 AM
thank you very much for yr reply..but honestly i dun hv much time to buy a book n start learning. actually this is our assg. the bad thing is that i dun hv bcground in VB. really dun have any idea to start designing it...due date is too sooon that is 20/4. feel really terrible...plss help me thankss alott

BillSoo
03-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Well, we won't supply complete code for assignments, you *are* supposed to be learning this stuff yourself afterall....but we will give you a few hints to get you started.

Probably the simplest way is to show a 3x3 grid (this could be a picturebox) and also show 9 other pictureboxes numbered 1 through 9. Then the kid would drag and drop each box to the proper location.

Depending on what you want/need, a message would be generated and sent to the server after a drop, or perhaps after the grid was filled.

tanestee
03-05-2003, 02:04 AM
hi Billsoo, i dun mean to ask for complete code for my assign...i just need an idea on how to design the games..anyway u hv help me by give me some clue..thanxxx alot...the 1st phase we juat have to design the flow of the message and how to games flows. hope u dun mind..thanxx again

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum