3D Interface

jayasianuk
03-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Hi peep

wondering if any one can help... :huh:

I'm working on a project on creating a 3D Desktop Interface to run windows applications.

I was wondering if i can do this using Visual Basic with OpenGL :-\

If anyone can help, please reply PLEASE :chuckle:

Konrad Rudolph
03-04-2003, 06:04 PM
I cannot really help but encourage you.

I have seen the "official" Microsoft 3D desktop model and was so asthonished at its simplicity.
imho this can easily be done with VB and DirectX.

All you need to do is to capture every user entry (mouse & keyboard) and create screenshots of every program.

Then your program creates an empty 3D room (the "construct" ;) ). Now you can fill the room with canvases. Each canvas is holding the screenshot of one program.
When the user tries to interact with this canvas you have to focus the camera on it and then, using SendMessage and so on, you simulate the user inputs as if they had been done right on the program...

in fact, you kinda take over the part of the OS only that you intercept the user inputs and redirect them if needed.

Then, obviously, you have to implement all common things a 3D world needs so a user can navigate through it.

jayasianuk
03-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah i've seen it my self, Its called Task Gallery.

It was amazing :cool:

Thing is im still new at learning VB (but i have used java before), and was wondering if there are any templates/source codes around for an interface which allowed user to run applications , so i can look at them and learn for my self. (im good at learning from examples ;) ) :huh:

chris00
03-04-2003, 06:19 PM
DirectX and VB would work, just a tip, get used to VB first before learning DirectX (I tried learning them at the same time, didn't go to well). Sounds like a cool idea

:) :D :cool:

Konrad Rudolph
03-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Yeah i've seen it my self, Its called Task Gallery.

It was amazing :cool:

Thing is im still new at learning VB (but i have used java before), and was wondering if there are any templates/source codes around for an interface which allowed user to run applications , so i can look at them and learn for my self. (im good at learning from examples ;) ) :huh:

I have searched planetsourcecode for similar code some time ago but I have found nothing like this.
Funny, I don't think it's too difficult to realize provided you master the basics of DirectX.

jayasianuk
03-04-2003, 06:23 PM
cheers Chris00 and Konrad Rudolph

was wondering chris00 , what did you program?

got any examples :-\

I think i could learn it, but need to show examples to my project supervisor lol

i mean any sort of interface, doesnt have to be 3d

any thing would help :-D

Cheers for all the help, made me happier that at least i know i can do it using VB :D

chris00
03-04-2003, 06:29 PM
..... wondering chris00 , what did you program?

I haven't made any great things in Direct3D (I was using DX 7). I learned alot though from a tutorial I found on www.planet-source-code.com

:)

jayasianuk
03-04-2003, 06:31 PM
cool, well i'll start there first.

this has really been appricated.

By the way what have u created using Vb?

Konrad Rudolph
03-05-2003, 02:47 AM
I think the best tutorials for DX under VB are - and everyone will agree - here:
http://rookscape.com/vbgaming/ and
http://directx4vb.com/

also check gamedev.net and gamasutra.com but they a re not VB specific latter is for very advanced game programmers - I mean *very* advanced! This community is where Sid Mayer and Peter Molyneux are to be found!

chris00
03-05-2003, 06:35 PM
cool, well i'll start there first.

this has really been appricated.

By the way what have u created using Vb?

I have created alot of stuff in VB. I have a few of them on my Web Site (www.cs-soft.cjb.net , their is on source their though). Right now I'm working on a Windows Shell (more or less replaces Explorer.exe)

:)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum