form redrawing/refreshing/reloading...help a newbie!

windmill
03-17-2003, 08:57 PM
hi, i'm a visual basic newbie (but not a programming or computer newbie, if that will help), and i'm trying to build a database to keep track of my cd and document collection. i have a form set up that has a row of icons (they are picture boxes) such as "cd", "documents", "misc", "search" and when they are clicked (let's say a cd icon for the cd database), instead of a new form popping up that displays the cd collection form, the current form "refreshes" and displays some labels, text boxes and a few other objects that are totally exclusive to the cd database. on the other hand, if the documents menu is clicked, the form redraws and displays a totally new layout for the documents database. again, this is almost the same thing as loading a new form. the only thing is, it has stumped me and i haven't gotten very far with this program. imagine a web page that has frames, if you click somewhere in the navigation frame, the main content loads. this is how i want the form to act.

-------------------
ICONS
-------------------

CONTENT
HERE

-------------------

Machaira
03-17-2003, 09:32 PM
You could do this any number of ways - a tab control or a toolbar for the icons and frames that you show and hide are probably the two most popular. Either way would probably do for you.

Thinker
03-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Take a look at this control.
http://www.visualbasicforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=43684

windmill
03-18-2003, 11:05 AM
hmm, after launching the testtabbar project and after double clicking on the form, vb crashes and says that the "memory cannot be read. from address 0x...etc"...dang it.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum