Error Trapping

2bNvUs
06-09-2003, 02:00 PM
I need to know how to create my own Error Pages. For example if a user clicks on a link that doesn't work, instead of getting an annoying
404- Error- Page Not Found, they get a specific page that I designed myself.

thanks

PWNettle
06-09-2003, 03:43 PM
In order to use custom error pages you must have control of the web server (or have a web admin who will work with you).

The process for setting up custom error pages varies from server to server.

For example, with IIS, you can open up the 'Internet Information Services' program, right-click on either 'Default Web Site' or a particular web application, select 'Properties', then select the 'Custom Errors' tab. Then you can scroll down the list until you find the page for HTTP Error 404. This will show you the path to the page IIS displays when 404 occurs. You can either edit that page directly (not recommended) or make your own page and direct IIS to use your custom page (recommended) by pressing the 'Edit Properties' button and providing the physical path to your custom page.

If you aren't using IIS then hopefully whatever web server management software you use provides a way to dink with the error files...or you can locate and edit the files where they're physically stored on the server.

Paul

2bNvUs
06-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the help. I do have control of my webserver and your reply helped tremendously.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum