Who owns this forum?

shuaib_16
08-07-2001, 07:44 AM
I am wondering who owns this forum - Billsoo?, JDT? who?

Please reply.

Thanks
Shuaib

...only 16 years old...and programming till 4 in the morning!

BillSoo
08-07-2001, 03:52 PM
The "owner" of this site is the webmaster. Bob Schwarz. He has a couple of administrators helping him with the lowlevel aspects of the site. I am an administrator, but I'm not involved with the details of running this forum. I'm more like a "super moderator". Then there are the moderators, who are long term members who have proven especially helpful in this forum and the users, who provide all the useful content of this forum and are the whole reason why vb forum exists.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

zero
08-07-2001, 03:58 PM
so whats it take to become a moderator? Just if you post alot of good info or how does it work?

BillSoo
08-07-2001, 04:23 PM
It's hard to say exactly....

In the beginning, there were no moderators. Then someone suggested we have a "Tutors Corner". The webmaster wanted it to be Read-Only, but that meant that he would have to do all the maintenance. He asked if any of us were interested in maintaining that forum and the volunteers became moderators. But only for that forum.

More recently, the Webmaster has asked for names of members that we moderators think would make good moderators. We ask the member and if they agree, we pass the name to the webmaster and he makes them a moderator.

Even more recently, the webmaster made me an administrator so I can create moderators myself. The prospective member still has to be approved by the rest of the moderators though.

What we most value is helpfulness, followed by technical knowledge. We want people who hang around the forum a lot as well.

Over time, some moderators have moved on (you never see Amram71 around here anymore for instance) while the forum has grown quite a bit in size. So that's why there have been a number of new moderators appointed in the last month or so. There will probably be one or two more appointed in the near future, but I think that will be enough for our needs.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!" - Edmund Blackadder

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum