Xtreme Visual Basic Talk

Xtreme Visual Basic Talk (http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/)
-   .NET Installation / Documentation (http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/-net-installation-documentation/)
-   -   Creating an Upgrade Installation Package (http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/-net-installation-documentation/324189-creating-upgrade-installation-package.html)

SeahawkFan 05-31-2012 11:23 AM

Creating an Upgrade Installation Package

I deployed a new program a week ago and, naturally, got plenty of feedback on how to improve the program. I made the necessary adjustments but need to know how to create an upgrade package that will supercede the original and, should the upgrade be uninstalled, will not reinstall the original.

Is this something I can do through the Deployment Project functionality? And what steps would I need to take in order to ensure it deploys the upgrade properly?

Gruff 05-31-2012 03:57 PM

the safest thing to do is to insist the user uninstall the app completely, then reinstall.
It doesn't take all that much time to do so.

Many things can cause an upgrade to fail. Not the least of which is the components required for your app to run. I tried using the Click Once deployment that allowed upgrades across a LAN. It became so snarled up after a time that it stopped working altogether and I had to remove it from my development machine, Network Install Area, and all Client Machines before I could install any version of the app again. I Gave up on automatic upgrades after that.

SeahawkFan 05-31-2012 04:15 PM

My particular upgrade isn't adding any new libraries or other components to the app, just cleaning up some functionality that should've been there in the first place (drag-to-scroll and some filler information on treeview text). I also had some help from the IT department getting the deployment package put together such that the .NET 3.5 Framework installation was done separately, so it's not a part of the deployment package at all.

Though it's against your advice, how does one automate upgrades with VB 2008? I want to be fully informed on all options before choosing the best action. My issue is I don't have any options on the table at all at the moment.

Gruff 05-31-2012 04:59 PM

Are you using VS 2008 Standard, Proffessional or Express?

SeahawkFan 05-31-2012 05:15 PM

Professional.

Gruff 05-31-2012 06:34 PM

Then you have more options than most. I'd check out MSDN for the proper way to do it with Package and Deploy Project Templates. I have no experience with that.

Regarding ClickOnce Deploy. There are some limitations with using it.
1) It only installs for the current user not the current machine.
2) No complex install capabilities.

If you use the ClickOnce Wizard from the project properties dialog (Last tab)
You can select "Install to a UNC path." When you do so you create an install package that resides on your network. Users that install from this location have apps that automatically check for a new version on start. If you run your wizard at a later date and update your network deployment the users installed app will upgrade to your latest version automatically on start.

As I said though you are making fixed links between your project --> Install Package --> Users Installs. Break them at your peril.