Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Tech Discussions > Easy questions that I don't know. please help

Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Centurion

Default Easy questions that I don't know. please help

Hi,
I am currently have Visual Studio.NET 2003 Enterprise Edition (.NET framework 1.1). Now I want to upgrade to Visual Studio.NET 2005 (.NET framework 2.0). Which product do I want to use? Look like Microsoft Don't have 2005 Enterprise Edition.
http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...9-91f37258ca2f

I am planning to use VB.NET 2005, C#, ASP.NET 2.0 (Web app).
Which product do I need to buy? the VS.NET 2005 Standard or Professional or ???

thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Web Junkie

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Professional is probably the best bet. Although it partially depends on how much database support you need. If you don't use many databases, you can probably get Standard with out missing much.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

May I inject a fresh but related question?

Here we are using VS.Net Team Suite. I have absolutely no idea what things are different from the other VS versions. Are there differences?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Underclocked lifestyle

Forum Leader
* Guru *

The higher-priced packages contain source-control and other higher-level tools well beyond the basic tools for creating and debugging programs.

VS 2005 Team System
Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
CodeASaurus Hex

Forum Leader
* Expert *

Here is a bit of a rundown on the VS2005 versions
Quote:
Visual Studio 2005 Team System is a productive, integrated, and extensible suite of lifecycle tools that expands the Visual Studio product line to enable greater communication and collaboration among software development teams. With Visual Studio 2005 Team System, organizations can ensure greater predictability and quality early and often throughout the development process.

Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition is a comprehensive development environment intended for individual developers to build high-performance, multi-tier applications. With Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition, you can take advantage of a highly productive environment for building a wide variety of Windows, Web, mobile, and Office-based solutions.
With Visual Studio 2005, professional developers can:
Create multi-tier Windows, Web, SmartPhone, and Pocket PC based applications
Integrated Visual Database Tools for designing databases, tables, stored procedures, and more
Integrated database report designer and viewer
Design, debug, and deploy multi-tier applications
Integrated XSLT debugging

Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition is a highly focused development environment intended for individual developers to build departmental client/server Windows applications and Web sites. With Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition, you get an easy to use development environment for building Windows, Web, and consumer device applications.
The ideal tool for the part-time or occasional developer.
Support for Visual Basic, C#, C++, and J# languages.
Develop and deploy client-server based Windows, Web, SmartPhone, and Pocket PC applications.
"Drag and drop" user interface designers for virtually every type of application
Includes a built-in Web server for testing Web applications, IIS is not needed

Visual Studio Express Editions: Lightweight, easy-to-use, and easy-to-learn tools for the hobbyist, novice, and student developer.
Additional information can be found at http://www.larkware.com/editorials/vs2005.html
Also you may find the Visual Studio 2005 Product Line Overview helpful.