Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET General > Problem with InternetExplorer in ShellWindows

Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Privileges Suspended

Default Problem with InternetExplorer in ShellWindows

I have put together a program for my company that keeps an eye on internet explorer windows. The program is designed to block sites that my boss does not want salespeople using.

So far all the code works fine, but here is the problem. It only works for internet explorer windows that were already running prior to my program starting up. For instance if I start my program first, and then start internet explorer, it doesn't work.

I am using the following code inside of a timer

For each IE as InternetExplorer in New ShellWindows

Next

For some reason it doesnt want to recognize new internet explorer windows, only ones that are already loaded. I'm sure this is a simple problem that has a simple solution but I can't figure it out.

Currenty using Internet Explorer 7, programming in Visual Studio 2008

Last edited by Guitarmonster; 02-13-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Privileges Suspended

I think i figured it out. I read something about if "launch internet explorer windows is a separate process is enabled" it won't work. So i used a registry hack to manually disable it. Now it picks up ie regardless of when it was executed. Although it resolves the issue now, i'm starting to realize that i'm not using the best technique for controlling ie. If anyone has any better ideas please post them here.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Privileges Suspended

yeah this definetely is not working out. When I open internet explorer the program works, when I open a new ie window the program doesn't do anything with the next window. Looks like I need to completely scrap what I have and start new with something totally different.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Jedi Coder

* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmonster View Post
If anyone has any better ideas please post them here.
Tell your boss to buy a software package that handles this.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Privileges Suspended

why would he do that when he has a programmer? I've already written the program, it does exactly what he wants, restricts access during working hours. My program allows him to set lunchtimes for his employees, so they can have unrestricted access during lunch. As well as other integration features that I haven't mentioned here.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Junior Contributor

Look over your code. What is it doing at initialization that means it sees any windows at all? Could you effectively re-initialize the window list in your app, or doesn't that work? Obviously it would need to refresh the list maybe every 5 seconds or something.

Best regards,
AstroTux.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Privileges Suspended

I have tried 2 methods

the first method:

Code:
Imports SHDocVw
Imports MSHTML

Public Class Scanner
    Dim SWs As New SHDocVw.ShellWindows

Public Sub ScanIEWindows()
For Each IE As InternetExplorer In SWs
         'Code that handles screening the urls
Next
The second method:
Code:
Imports SHDocVw
Imports MSHTML

Public Class Scanner

For Each IE As InternetExplorer In New ShellWindows
         'Code that handles screening the urls
Next
Both methods give me the same results. Now you would think that method 2 would "refresh" the list since every time the ScanIEWindows sub is called, it is declaring "New ShellWindows", meaning that it is new at that point. Then destroying it after the sub is done executing, but that's not the case. I have a feeling that both of these methods are just not working since xp is designed to launch internet explorer in a new process if you have over a certain amount of ram.

My other option is, I might just create an instance of internet explorer from my program, and remove any shortcuts from the start menu, that way my program has control over it completely. But I would rather figure out how to control any ie window regardless of how it was executed. Our salespeople are not as dumb as they look.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

Have you protected against the following trivial attacks on this software package?
  • Kill the application from task manager.
  • Edit the startup entries so this program does not run.
  • Use Firefox (can be run from a thumb drive, "they can't install software" is not a solution).
  • Use Opera.
These are just the unsophisticated ways to stop it.

The fact is, even if your boss has a programmer, has he considered the cost of having you develop this, then maintain it as people find new ways around it? Net Nanny costs $40. You've spent at least four hours today on it, and probably four hours yesterday on it. Even if you are making minimum wage, you're costing one license per day you work on this ineffective software.

You could block sites at the network hardware. This is tough to defeat for the average user, since no matter what software they use it has to go through the network hardware. Of course, proxies, tunnels, and vpns can go right through this.

The most reliable way to restrict employee usage is to make a policy clear that visiting certain sites won't be tolerated. Then, when someone is caught visiting that site, have all their things in a box for them the next morning. People learn fast when their buds can't go to lunch with them because they're too busy finding a job.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Privileges Suspended

This is what they want to do, there are other features that have already been integrated into the program, and they do not want to dispose of it.

Not only that, but as a programmer I want to figure this out, that's what these forums are for, we all like to figure things out, that's why we all decided to program.

Back to the problem, when you open a new tab in tabbed browsing in ie, that also is not able to be looked at with the .net code. I feel that there is a very simple solution to this because I read all over the net that people are using the same code to control multiple ie windows without any problem whatsoever. I just want to figure this out, I don't want to buy another program, I want to code.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

I tried this in a console application and I am having no troubles:
Code:
Imports SHDocVw
Imports MSHTML

Module Module1

Sub Main()
        ScanIEWindows()

Threading.Thread.Sleep(10000)

ScanIEWindows()
        Console.ReadLine()
    End Sub

Dim windows As New SHDocVw.ShellWindows()

For Each window As SHDocVw.InternetExplorer In windows
            Console.WriteLine(window.LocationURL)
        Next
    End Sub
End Module
Also, I tested it with tabs and it's working just fine. I opened a window, started the program, then while it was sleeping opened some more tabs. Everything was printed with no problems.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Privileges Suspended

Looks like your on to something, your code says:

For Each window As SHDocVw.InternetExplorer

where mine says:

For Each is as InternetExplorer

it looks like since your saying "window" instead of "InternetExplorer", your left with more options than me. I'm going to try this.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Jedi Coder

* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmonster View Post
why would he do that when he has a programmer? I've already written the program, it does exactly what he wants, restricts access during working hours. My program allows him to set lunchtimes for his employees, so they can have unrestricted access during lunch. As well as other integration features that I haven't mentioned here.
Then why are you posting here?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Privileges Suspended

It's working now, regardless of how or when ie is started up, or how many tabs, my program now has full control over browsing.

And yes, I am also implementing safeguards to protect against shutting down the program in the software. On top of that, everyone who works here understands that attempting to alter the way the systems will result in immediate termination and possibly prosecution, they make pretty good money and I doubt they will roll the dice on their 40k a year salaries, pension, and profit sharing.

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Privileges Suspended

Here's the cool part about killing the program with the task manager. My program also actively watches the process list, if it sees the task manager it kills it and then pops up a password dialog, where a manager or IT staff can enter their password, then the program will allow the task manager. As far as startup, were hiding it in the registry, which also is restricted by my program. I'm sure there are other ways to shut it down but once again, it will take some work and im sure that these people won't want to risk their careers. And if you are going to tamper with the program you better do it fast because we have managers walking the floor constantly.