Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET General > A bit Confused. small program ?

Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Newcomer

Default A bit Confused. small program ?

I'm doing extra credit in my vb class and i've merely finished the program but for some reason there's something missing but I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

THe program is suppose to allow someone to choose a workshop from the "workshop listbox", and a location from the "location list box". You'll understand it alot more if you just download it i've attached it so you can understand what i'm trying to do easier. Anyways, here's my code. I'm not asking for the answer i'm asking for a hint in the right direction.
Private Sub btnExit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
End
End Sub

Private Sub btnReset_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnReset.Click
lbWork.SetSelected(0, False)
lbLoc.SetSelected(0, False)
lblTotalCost.Text = ""
End Sub

Private Sub btnAdd_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
'Declare selected values from both listboxes
Dim workshop, location, days, regFee, lodging As Integer
Dim Total As Integer
'Workshop Configuration
workshop = lbWork.SelectedIndex()
If lbWork.SelectedItem Is Nothing Then
MsgBox("Please make sure you select a workshop")
ElseIf workshop = lbWork.Items.Item(0) Then
days = 3 And regFee = 595
ElseIf workshop = lbWork.Items.Item(1) Then
days = 3 And regFee = 695
ElseIf workshop = lbWork.Items.Item(2) Then
days = 3 And regFee = 995
ElseIf workshop = lbWork.Items.Item(3) Then
days = 5 And regFee = 1295
ElseIf workshop = lbWork.Items.Item(4) Then
days = 1 And regFee = 395
End If
'Location Configuration
location = lbLoc.SelectedIndex()
If lbLoc.SelectedItem Is Nothing Then
ElseIf location = lbLoc.Items.Item(0) Then
lodging = days * 95
ElseIf location = lbLoc.Items.Item(1) Then
lodging = days * 125
ElseIf location = lbLoc.Items.Item(2) Then
lodging = days * 110
ElseIf location = lbLoc.Items.Item(3) Then
lodging = days * 100
ElseIf location = lbLoc.Items.Item(4) Then
lodging = days * 92
ElseIf location = lbLoc.Items.Item(5) Then
lodging = days * 90
End If
'Establish the total

Total = Val(lodging) + Val(regFee)
'Transfering totals to lbCost
lbCost.Items.Add(Format$(Total, "currency"))
End Sub
End Class
Attached Files
File Type: zip Workshop Selector.zip (30.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Newcomer

I hope this helps.

Code:
        Dim workshop As String = lbWork.SelectedIndex()
        If lbWork.SelectedItem Is Nothing Then
        ElseIf workshop = "Handling Stress" Then
            days = 3 And regFee = 595

Dim Location As String = lbLoc.SelectedIndex()
        If lbLoc.SelectedItem Is Nothing Then
            'Fixed this line as well you had workshop again instead of location
            MsgBox("Please make sure you select a location")
        ElseIf location = "Auston" Then
            lodging = days * 95

Last edited by shawnplr; 11-09-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

You didn't ask a question; you just said there was something missing and you wanted help. Unfortunately, it could be you got the application as-is (I hope not, because anyone using Val probably isn't qualified to teach VB .NET) and need to fill in the blanks.

Perhaps if you could ask a more specific question than "What's missing" we could help.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Newcomer

actually I used a case statement to gather which item is selected in a list. Now i'm just working on storing the listbox as an array.

Whats wrong with using the val() function.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

You're trying to convert a string to an integer. Presumably you want to ensure that the text is actually a number before converting it; it might not matter on this project, but some day in the future it will. Here's my list of problems with Val:
  • Val("38sldmejflemd") is an error in my eyes since it's not a valid number, yet it returns 83.
  • Val only returns Double, which means if you want an integer you need to do a type conversion before you use it.
  • Val ignores whitespace and formatting rules. Val("123 45th street") returns 12,345. Val("12,345") returns 12.
  • Live in a country that uses different symbols for a decimal point? (Some European countries use ",", so "three and a half" would be "3,5".) Tough luck, Val can't help you.
  • Error checking is practically impossible. Val("asdf") returns 0. What if 0 is a valid value? How can you tell the difference between when the user inputs "0" and when the user inputs "asdf"?

On the other hand, you could use the .NET Parse methods to avoid allof these problems. For example:
  • Dim value As Integer = Integer.Parse("38asldfineoasl") throws an exception; you could alternatively use TryParse to determine that the parsing failed. This means you know when the user put the wrong input into your application and you can display an appropriate error message.
  • You can choose the data type you want to avoid an extra type conversion.
  • Formatting happens according to the local culture and optional formatting rules you indicate. "123 45th street" will throw an exception, but "12,345" can be parsed as 12345:
    Code:
            Dim value As Integer
            value = Integer.Parse("12,345", Globalization.NumberStyles.Number)
  • .NET formatting methods take an optional culture that specifies the formatting rules that should be used. If you need to localize to a culture that uses a different decimal point, just use the current culture:
    Code:
            Dim value As Double
            Dim cInfo As New CultureInfo("FR-fr") ' Use French culture rules for formatting
            value = Double.Parse("12,345", Globalization.NumberStyles.Number, cInfo)
    Now the value is parsed as twelve and three hundred forty five thousandths, rather than twelve thousand three hundred forty five.
  • Using Parse means invalid values throw an exception. Using TryParse means the function returns false. This means you can add error handling to tell the user what they did wrong:
    Code:
        Private Sub Calculate()
            Dim value As Integer

If Not Integer.TryParse(TextBox1.Text, value) Then
                MessageBox.Show("The input must be an integer.")
                Return
            End If

' do calculations
        End Sub

The .NET formatting and parsing methods are more powerful, flexible, and intuitive than Val.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Newcomer

Wow, Thank you for that last post.
I'm currently just starting to learn VB from my professor and I showed him what you posted and he explained a bit more to me
He said whenever I use the Val() statement we do two things
Check if it's empty first if variable = "", and then check to see if its numeric IE. IsNumeric(). That way I won't have to worry about parsing strings and such... for at least this project.

Though, I really like the time you put into explaining that for me because i can use all the constructive criticism i need.

I finished the program though, I guess a listbox is already an array and you can use a for loop to add the items of a listbox.

Thank you for the posts though i appreciate it.