Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Database and Reporting > How do I get Access to output a report from a multi-parameter form?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Newcomer

Unhappy How do I get Access to output a report from a multi-parameter form?

How do I get MSAccess to output a report from a multi-parameter form which restricts the list of fields output based on tickboxes?
I have created an Access form which is built on a multi-parameter query.
The form triggers the query from a command button on the form which calls the query from Docmd.Openquery.....(which all works fine)
I am trying to restrict the output in the report so that only certain fields from the query appear based on the user ticking boxes ie -

Field_firstname, Field_surname, Field_dob
John Smith 10/04/1969
Jane Doe 01/02/1978

I want the user to be able to use a tick box on the form which enables the user to select whether they want the first name or surname to appear in the results of the query (which I then want to output only as a report or export to Word/Excel). So my question has 2 parts - How do I restrict my output fields from the query and how do I get my form results to output to a report?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Centurion

For me, the easiest way would be to build an SQL string using VBA in the form's module. It would involve a lot of lines like: If checkboxA.Value = 1 then SQLstring = SQLstr & 'LastName'...
I don't know how much experience you have with VB strings.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Newcomer

Thumbs down Reply to thread 'How do I get Access to output a report from a multi-parameter form?

Thanks for that - yes I tried using SQL to create the string and it worked in that it gave me the required output but the report was a real mess so I then set about trying to change the layout of the report and hit a few more snags.

One of my fields is of type "memo" and I can only create a variable for text types - can't do it for "memo" types so every field was cutting off at 255 characters. Is it possible to get round that?

On top of that, although I should have been able to change the layout of the page to landscape to give me a wider page output, no matter what I did within the script, the output always came out as A4/letter portrait layout.
Is it possilble to get round that (or is it determined by the printer drivers?

Thanks for any help with this.

Tags
access, form, parameters, query, report