Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET File I/O and Registry > Save all Links in Webpage

Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Newcomer

Unhappy Save all Links in Webpage

Hello Friends,
I am a complete newbie in this programing language. The thing that I am trying to achieve is -
1) Create a simple Web Browser [DONE]
2) Clear Cookies by Mouse Click on the Button [DONE]
3) Save the links present in the webpage that the user is viewing through my browser [PROBLEM]

Here's the code that I have done -
Code:
Imports System.IO
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        WebBrowser1.Navigate(TextBox1.Text)

Using MyWriter As New StreamWriter("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\test.txt")
            'Declare your StreamWriter and put the path to the file that you want to write as a Parameter of the StreamWriter. If the File does not exist, then it will be created. If the File Exists it will be overwritten. (You can add the Append Boolean to the Parameters of the StreamWriter if you don't want the File overwritten. StreamWriter(PathToFile, AppendBoolean))

Dim MyString As String = WebBrowser1.Document.Body.InnerText ' Declare your String and set the Value of the String to be the InnerText of the document in the WebBrowser Control

MyWriter.Write(MyString) ' Write the String to the File
            MyWriter.Flush() ' Clear the buffers for the current writer and causes any buffered data to be written to the underlying stream
            MyWriter.Close() ' Close the StreamWriter
        End Using

End Sub
But when I try to debug this I get this error -
A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in MyWebBrowser.exe
and this line gets highlighted in yellow - MyString As String = WebBrowser1.Document.Body.InnerText

Please help!!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Senior Contributor

* Expert *

The webbrowser is still navigating to the site when it hits that line of code. What you need to do is wait for the document to finish loading and then you can get to the Document of the WebBrowser.

For that purpose the WebBrowser control has the DocumentCompleted event. It's worth noting that a single webpage can have multiple frames and each of those frames will fire a DocumentCompleted event so it's not possible to know how many times the event will fire. Fortunately it's easy enough to check that that whole page has completed by checking the Url of the event to the Url of the webbrowser...
Code:
Private Sub WebBrowser1_DocumentCompleted(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowserDocumentCompletedEventArgs) Handles WebBrowser1.DocumentCompleted

If e.Url.Equals(WebBrowser1.Url) Then

' You can do your Webbrowser1.Document work here.

End if
End Sub

Tags
link error, webbrowser