Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Forum Questions / Concerns / Comments > All site pages are blank and do not load on windows xp laptop.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Regular

Question All site pages are blank and do not load on windows xp laptop.

On my laptop [WinXp, ie8], the entire xtremevbtalk site will not load.
For every page, in the lower left corner it says "Done" but the page is just blank [all white].
I had to reboot my computer in Linux Mint 10 [multi-boot] to access the site to post this question.
Of coarse I checked the cookies list in the internet privacy settings, and did not find any immediate issues there, I have no ad-blocking or other special software for such purposes.
What could the issue be?
It has been a while since I accessed the site, have there been any changes to it that may be the cause?

Linux Mint is way cool! [and super easy to install as a dual boot]
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Lost Soul

Super Moderator
* Guru *

No problem using: XP + IE8, Win7 + IE9/Chrome
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Newcomer

Were you getting any updates at the time this occurred? That may cause problems. I've had weird experiences during anti-virus updates. Also, (with my XP lappy,) IE almost seems to come to a complete stop during large updates.

IT's my opinion that IE is great for downloading Firefox, but not much else....I don't even consider IE when coding websites. I just make as if it doesn't exist.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Regular

Default ...Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
No problem using: XP + IE8, Win7 + IE9/Chrome
Yes, I am sure there are dozens if not hundreds of users of this forum that have xp with ie8 that do not have a problem, that should be obvious because otherwise there would be a big whoop-ta-do about it wouldn't there. [Feminine <> stupid ]

I am not questioning if there is a problem with the site, what I am asking for is any ideas on where to start looking to find out why this is happening on MY system that did not previously have a problem but now does, and within the context of that of coarse it is best to know what changes [if any] may have been made to the site in the last year as that may give a clue where to start.

FYI, This is what I see [also has the privacy report widow after double clicking the privacy warning icon on the info bar]:
xtreme no access 0.png
Note that the privacy report does not seem to show anything blocked that is essential to the site. There seems to be something else going on here.
The question is: What?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Regular

Wink No updates. Can't disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfnt View Post
Were you getting any updates at the time this occurred? That may cause problems. I've had weird experiences during anti-virus updates. Also, (with my XP lappy,) IE almost seems to come to a complete stop during large updates.

IT's my opinion that IE is great for downloading Firefox, but not much else....I don't even consider IE when coding websites. I just make as if it doesn't exist.
I cannot disagree with your opinion. [MS makes crap because it is NOT trying to make a good product, it is trying to make money]

No, I have not had an update [especially a big one] as I continually find [fixing other peoples computers] that when auto-update is on, it automatically updates computer hardware into being obsolete! [mostly because of gross assumptions about everybody having the latest & greatest everything]

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Lost Soul

Super Moderator
* Guru *

Have you tried running IE without the toolbars to see what happens?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-add-ons.html
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Regular

Default I do not run any tool bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Have you tried running IE without the toolbars to see what happens?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-add-ons.html
I am not sure why that would be an issue considering that has not changed on my system,.. If you look at the screen shot I posted you would notice that I do not run any tool bars. The only ones present are the BUILT IN ones [IE favorites bar, and the standard IE tool bar] and you cannot remove them [you can make them not visible] as they are not add-ons but built into IE. Further, if those were an issue then almost everybody would have an issue, wouldn't they?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Regular

Smile @Flyguy;

@Flyguy;
I am beginning to get the feeling that maybe you are the type of person that just throws out anything that comes to mind, you know, to see what sticks to the wall kind of thing. While it is not typically my way, I understand that way of operating [my brother], and I think I may understand your original post a little better now as a result.

If this is the case then I apologize for thinking that you thought I was stupid, and I appreciate your effort to help as at least you are trying to help. [and if it is not the case and you do think I am stupid, well then,.. you know..: @#&%$ YOU! ]

Last edited by jill_kitten; 04-10-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Fix paragraph
Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Lost Soul

Super Moderator
* Guru *

Think what you want to think about me.

I can only test the behaviour of the forum on the 2 PCs I have access too.
Both don't have the problem you described, neither on XP / IE nor on Win7 / IE.

I'm not a mind reader and it's even more difficult to guess what's going on on your computer when running XP with IE8.

Based on your screenshot and your short description it is hard to see whether only the default toolbars are installed/running on IE.

But, like you said yourself, the forum works as expected on your other configuration, so it's probably not a problem on the forum side.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

My thoughts, just to see what sticks to the wall, if you have not already tried:
Delete the IE Browsing History cache.
Try a different browser in Windows (e.g. Firefox), just to see if the issue is system endemic.
Examine the Hosts file to make sure a critical domain did not creep into it.
Temporarily allow the blocked entries listed in the screen shot.

Let us know what you find.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Regular

Lightbulb Some good ideas there, Cerian Knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerian Knight View Post
My thoughts, just to see what sticks to the wall, if you have not already tried:
Delete the IE Browsing History cache.
Try a different browser in Windows (e.g. Firefox), just to see if the issue is system endemic.
Examine the Hosts file to make sure a critical domain did not creep into it.
Temporarily allow the blocked entries listed in the screen shot.

Let us know what you find.
Some good ideas there, when I get back to it [in windows] I'll have to try some of those, thanks.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Contributor

I had the exact same problem for the last two months (blank page for this site only)
and only have everything working properly as of two days ago.
I'm running XP Pro.

Problem started I think when IE8 installed. I didn't do this manually, but I think
somehow Windows automatic updates was turned on, and one of these updates installed IE8.

I tried everything I could think of, and all suggestions from internet searches.
Nothing worked.

Over the weekend I tried Reset Internet Explorer Settings (in Advanced tab).
Still didn't work, but I kept getting a nag screen every 15 minutes or so to restart my computer.
After the restart everything worked fine.

In summary, I'm not sure if resetting explorer's default settings did the trick,
or if it was another automatic update asking me to restart my computer.
In any event, my problem was resolved.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Regular

Question Look what I found,... Now what?

After clearing the catch and resetting IE8 settings [and a reboot] look at what I found:
xtreme no access 1 [look what I found].png
An error on the page,.. Now what?

I am getting a fresh copy of the page, but there is an error on it, AND it is still blank,.. now what?

P.S. Thanks guys for the help, this is at least a change and a more clear indicator of an issue that will hopefully lead to a resolution. I would say we now may have a lead to the real issue, again, thanks.

Last edited by jill_kitten; 04-14-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

In addition to my other recommendations, perhaps create another user account in Windows and log into it just to run IE8 and see what happens when you navigate here.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Regular

Arrow Core setup is administrator only without a login...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerian Knight View Post
In addition to my other recommendations, perhaps create another user account in Windows and log into it just to run IE8 and see what happens when you navigate here.
There are no user accounts, it is set up for administrator only without a login, and I intend to keep it that way. It shortcuts an uncountable plethora of issues.

Besides, this is not a new computer accessing the site for the first time, and the site came up fine a few months ago on this very same machine so I don't see how that could even be an issue without the 'site being modified' as THE issue. The only plausible reason for that to be an issue [that I can think of] is if they made a modification to the site that [now] makes some sort of gross assumption about all the computers in existence being a certain way and delving into operating system specifics where their dirty little web code shouldn't be [and also while accounting for all the different operating systems out there?!]. If this is the case then the issue would be with the SITE and not my computer, I should not have to modify the basic core setup of my operating system [on all my windows machines] to make one single site work [remember that this is the ONLY site that has this issue.] Honestly I cannot imagine this being the case , well not for html code anyway.

This is the text from the error details:
Quote:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET Client 3.5.30729.01; yie8)
Timestamp: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 11:11:41 UTC

Line: 401
Char: 128
Code: 0
URI: http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthre...33#post1392433
I looked at the source html and line 401 has nothing that refers to 'null', and also a search of the entire html code has no mention of 'null' in it at all. Actually "[something] is null or not an object" seems like an error for an OOP language. Could this be some java, .net, or c# code [or maybe a tucked away ocx] referenced by the page that is giving this error? Doesn't that seem more likely to anyone else?

P.S. If that is the case then nailing which it is might give a clue where I could check for code language support file versions maybe being off.

Last edited by jill_kitten; 04-15-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Try disabling script debugging (and maybe XSS filtering). Enabling script debugging breaks this site for me under IE7. Here is a somewhat relevant thread for looking into those: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...1-31abdb42ca8c

I've seen lots of indications that IE is most likely to suffer from the null issue and that the above or reinstalling Java or .NET 3.5 will solve it. In most cases, the issue only involves IE8 or IE9 and not other browsers.

Failing that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_kitten View Post
There are no user accounts, it is set up for administrator only without a login, and I intend to keep it that way. It shortcuts an uncountable plethora of issues.
The account creation/IE testing/account removal process should be less than 5 minutes on XP and would help answer a fundamental question about the system vs. account integrity.

(The first part of this paragraph is) not really relevant, but the software we create where I work (intentionally) is not fully functional on systems that have no login password. This behavior was requested by a number of our customers and no one has complained that requiring a login is a problem. Now the (perhaps) relevant part... we found that admin accounts in XP can actually be broken by the difference between no password and a null password. This occurs when a password is created and then removed by setting the password to null. Sometimes we have to create a new admin account to fix this (or enter a non-null password on the existing).