Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > ASP.Net > ASP.NET MVC3 Models that are Collections

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Freshman

Default ASP.NET MVC3 Models that are Collections

I am new to ASP.NET MVC. I am trying to work on a project where the <HttpPost()> method in my Controller takes a parameter that is a collection model.

Code:
<HttpPost()>
Public Function MyDiariesSearch(ByVal datMyDiaries As MyDiaries) As ViewResult
  Return View("MyDiariesResults", datMyDiaries.GetResults(p_iStaffID))
End Function
Diaries is defined as such:
Code:
Public Class MyDiaries
  Inherits List(Of Diary)
Everytime the MyDiariesSearch method fires "datMyDiaries" is coming back as Nothing.

If I remove the "Inherits List(Of Diary)" line in my MyDiaries class it seems to work alright but then it truly isn't a collection class.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to have a Model that is really a collection of objects?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Contributor

Forum Leader
* Expert *

I have never tried binding to a model that is a collection, I will have a go later and see if it can be done. Normally in this situation I have used a ViewModel that exposes the collection as a property, the view then binds to the ViewModel rather than the view and that should work fine.

Posting Guidelines Forum Rules Use the code tags
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Freshman

I just did that as a workaround...created another class that exposed a property that was a collection. That did work as desired. Just seems kind of odd that using a collection class wouldn't work as expected.