Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Office Automation > Error opening excel in a dll

Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Junior Contributor

Default Error opening excel in a dll

Dear all,

We have created a dll to convert an excel spreadsheet to a csv file. At the moment we open the xls file, an eror occured (file doesn't exist / is used by an other user)

Maybe knows someone a solution.

Used code:
Dim excel As New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application
Dim wb = excel.Workbooks.Open("d:\my.xls") '<<<<<<<<<<< not possible to open
wb.SaveAs("d:\my.csv", Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.XlFileFormat.xlTextMSDOS)
wb.Close(SaveChanges:=False)

Nice regards,
Michelle
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

I don't have much use for .NET, but since no on else has responded... I've tried this code non-DLL (~5 minute using VS2010 Express is all I can tolerate ) and it works fine. Have you done so, as well?

I just want to be sure that this issue is only related to the DLL or how it is called (not e.g. a D:\ root permissions/FAT32 issue). That being the case, show us how it is called (and make sure it is called only once). Otherwise, make the files/file references in a folder and see if same result.

Also, couldn't help but notice the 'xlTextMSDOS'... which seems odd. Is that intentional (as opposed to 'xlCSV' or 'xlCSVMSDOS')?