Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET General > Charset Encoding

Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Regular

Default Charset Encoding

Good morning,
I need to pass the Charset Encoding name which is defined in the 2nd column of the below table:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.80%29.aspx

Like windows-1256 or utf-8...

However, I know that not all of them are applicable for my Windows application which only runs on Intel x86 or x64 platforms and only WinXp, Vista, 7 OS.
So which ones are applicable for me?
For example, some MAC encoding, like x-mac-japanese or x-mac-arabic are for MAC only? Or can be used in Windows too?
Or also for UTF-32, it always returns System.NotSupportedException
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

I don't understand the question. What are you trying to do?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Regular

I am using an email component, it needs me to set the EmailMessage.CharSet property according to the supported values from this table:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.80%29.aspx

I should give all the encoding in above page to my user and ask him to select!
Just want to check if all of those are supported in Intel x86 or x64 platforms / WinXp, Vista, 7 OS?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Contributor

Forum Leader
* Expert *

Out of interest why do you need the user to select this? If you are dealing with international character sets then the easiest solution is to just use Unicode rather than mess around with ANSI character sets.

Even if you do need this to be set are you sure the users will be able to get this right anyway?

The table at the bottom of that link however explains which ones are supported by .Net natively and which ones aren't.

Posting Guidelines Forum Rules Use the code tags
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

Don't bother with ANSI text at all if you can avoid it. Use UTF-8 or UTF-16 until you have a customer requirement to support ANSI; even then I'd fight to only support as few ANSI character sets as possible. That's been the battle since the early 90s, and both of those character sets can cover everything. Proliferation of ANSI code pages just keeps things complicated for even longer.