Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > General > signing an .ocx

Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Junior Contributor

Default signing an .ocx

can anyone help,

i have a .ocx file that i need to digitally sign using a certificate i have created.
i have tried to use the signtool.exe but this keeps giving me error:
signtool error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.

i only have the one certificate and ran the cmd:
signtool sign /a myocx.ocx

any advice would be great.

thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Junior Contributor

Ok, so now i have correctly signed the .ocx file.
I have created an internet installer .cab file through package and deploy that has the .ocx to run, as part of the creation P&D created a .htm file that had the code to run the cab file.
i have run this on another PC and it correctly registers and loads up the .ocx, however, when running it on another PC nothing happens, just a clear square box in the top left corner. i get no objections about running the files etc as i have made sure that the PC can run activex etc.

any advice would be great.
thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by icampbell View Post
i have run this on another PC and it correctly registers and loads up the .ocx, however, when running it on another PC nothing happens, just a clear square box in the top left corner.
If I understand correctly, you have signed the file on one PC and tried it on two other PCs... one works and the other does not? If that is true, what OS and Service Pack are on all 3 PCs involved? Using an htm to run a cab seems like it could be problematic on some platforms. Perhaps using some form of Reg-Free will help: http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Underclocked lifestyle

Forum Leader
* Guru *

With so little useful information provided all we can do is take shots in the dark.

So far all we know is you "have an OCX" (er, who created it?) and you have signed it and packaged it as a CAB file. It sounds as if the control (or controls) in this OCX seem to work with the test HTM built by the PDW. Or at least on some machines ("another and not another" whatever that means).

It is important to know other things though, such as whether or not the controls in this OCX implement the "Safe For Scripting" interface and whether or not they are aggregations of other licensed controls. In the latter case you will also need to build and deploy .LPK (license package) files, generally a different one customized for each HTML page hosting your controls.

I'd hazard a guess that you created this OCX, it does aggregate licensed controls, and the machines where it works have VB6 design-time licenses installed (i.e. they have VB6 installed). Your VB6 product CDs should have LPKTool.exe, or you can probably still download it from Microsoft.